Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Brush hog shear bolt

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JayinNY
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject: Brush hog shear bolt Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have shear bolts on hand for my Howse brush hog, but there to big for my woods mower, I can't remember, are they grade 5 or 8?

johnofnewhaven
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Brush hog shear bolt Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use grade five in my old Bush Hog.

JayinNY
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Brush hog shear bolt Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you

Billy NY
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Brush hog shear bolt Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would be careful, anyway you could check the specification in the manual ? I use 1/2" Grade 2 in my old Rhino SE-6. They work perfectly, there is no way I would want a Grade 5 on this mower, way too much shock load transfer to the drive line. They tolerate a certain amount of abuse, then shear. You'll get a couple of bumps before it shears. The tractor is a late model ford/nh 4630, which has much more torque than the tractor it replaced, an 850. It will shear if you engage the pto too quickly, and the shear bolt has double nuts, which are tight. I ran this mower behind the 850 for 14 years, used the same grade 2 bolts, they lasted years, it just did not have enough torque unlike the 4630.

I get a dozen every year and use most when getting into thick brush or hit a log, rock or even a tussock near the swamp. Ran 9.6 hours getting my fields cut since friday and sheared 2 bolts towards the end of that time. Once was got too close to a stump I knew was there, shredded some old vines, the other was engaging the pto quickly, blade was hitting the side skirt, I reacted quickly, brain fart, was still spinning, well crap, it's not off, moved the lever back quickly as if shutting it off, had it backwards, immediately sheared the bolt.

I'm thinking it's time for a new mower with a slip clutch for this 4630, I certainly can change them quickly with all the practice. I have seen what happens with a JD 2020 and a 5' M-F rotary mower, they used a Grade 8 in it. The 2020 had to be split and disassembled to get to the pto coupler, it broke from the shock loads.

JayinNY
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Brush hog shear bolt Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I only use my brush hogs to mow pasture grass,

the Howse takes the bottom bolt, I think when I bought it 14 years ago the bolt was in bad shape, so I bought a few to have on hand, my woods m5 Dixie cutter has been run with the bolt on top, which I had no idea was in there until yesterday, Iv been running it like that for many years, someone put the bolt in and just bent it over, so I want to get a bolt and nut for it.

Billy NY
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Brush hog shear bolt Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Grasses, no problem, just remember its a grade 5 if you ever have work in harsh conditions, as much as it's inconvenient to change out, your tractor won't take the abuse. I'm actually impressed at how much these grade 2 bolts take, the coupling to the input shaft on the gearbox is not exactly tight, but the shear bolts with double nuts seem to work well, they shear perfectly like they should. One year I hit a good size round rock with the 850 running it, it sheared the shoulder bolts on the stump pan blade holder and the driveline shear bolt, so I guess there is double protection, never sheared those shoulder bolts since.

James Howell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Brush hog shear bolt Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"there is no way I would want a Grade 5 on this mower"

Agree.

We use Grade 2 and buy them by the pound at TSC.

Much cheaper than repairs on a John Deere Model 70.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters