Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Paint

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jd man wis
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:05 am    Post subject: Paint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This guy I know told me to not waste my money on John Deere paint because that I could go to NAPA and that they can mix the classic green that I buy from John Deere a lot cheaper and that it just as good. What do you guys think thanks.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Paint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't agree at all. The paint at NAPA will be much better quality for probably no more money.

jd man wis
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the info I am going to see them on some.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I tried to look up what kind of paint it was but they are keeping it a secret. The JD paint is probably an alkyd enamel which isn't that much different than enamel house paint. NAPA will carry automotive paints which should last two to three times as long as an alkyd. It won't be a cheap but when you consider how long it will last is a better deal.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The John Deere paint is a good enamel, especially with hardener, as I have used it.

My preference is NAPA paint, but it is several times more expensive.

barwinn
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you have the budget, Napa paint is a better choice.

yakob
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Paint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-jd man wis wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:05:27 06/06/19) This guy I know told me to not waste my money on John Deere paint because that I could go to NAPA and that they can mix the classic green that I buy from John Deere a lot cheaper and that it just as good. What do you guys think thanks.

The NAPA will probably be at least double per gallon but is worth every penny if you have the budget, which you should if you are doing a project in the first place.

It will also be more dangerous to work with, respiratorily speaking.

jd man wis
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Paint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info guys I'm going to use NAPA paint then the store in town here is only 5 miles away and the John Deere place is like over 60 miles away so heck iv save a little on fuel lol.

jd man wis
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Paint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On the paint that your going to use you can look it up on the computer by typing in your paint numbers and type in MSDS. This will tell you what is in it.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Paint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have been using 2K urethane out of the Nason line by Dupont. They give you close to automotive paint performance at half to a third of what many automotive paints go for. Far better bang for your buck than implement paint at the tractor dealer. If you are going to just clean up and spray, however, it makes no sense to spend extra money on good paint.

yakob
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Paint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'd hope it gives you automotive paint performance since it IS automotive paint...

rob in nh
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Paint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yakob, you should try nason, you'd like it.

yakob
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Paint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

rob in nh wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:15:48 06/07/19) Yakob, you should try nason, you'd like it.

I...I have...

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Paint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

yakob wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:17:20 06/07/19)
I'd hope it gives you automotive paint performance since it IS automotive paint...

Yakob do you think that anyone else had trouble understanding my post?

yakob
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

showcrop wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:23:42 06/07/19)
yakob wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:17:20 06/07/19)

Yakob do you think that anyone else had trouble understanding my post?

Which post?

Your first post in this thread said "I don't agree at all" and then you proceeded to imply some of the same points as the OP, thereby agreeing in some ways. It is not possible to be in total disagreement while still maintaining any original point made by the other party as true. The essence of the OP could be captured as "buy NAPA paint since it is better for negligible cost difference, if any" and you made the same point, yet somehow in disagreement.

Your second post (the one I poked fun at) said "They [Nason] give you close to automotive paint performance at half to a third of what many automotive paints go for." See, what you have done here is not only make a price comparison specifically to the pool of more expensive automotive paints, but you have also compared Nason's performance to he entire pool of automotive paints and have deemed said performance as less than that of the entire pool. Since the entire pool to Nason would include itself, the claim logically boils down to "it cannot perform as good as itself" which cannot be true.

There was no lack of understanding, only sarcasm that seems to be lost on some people.

Do you think the sarcasm in my original post or in this current one was misunderstood by anyone else?

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Paint and Bodywork All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters