Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Farmall 504 paints

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bullard504F
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:13 am    Post subject: Farmall 504 paints Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello everyone,
I am new to the forum and looking for some info. I have been given a Farmall 504 that was my fathers that was running when parked but has sitting in the weeds for 20 years. My goal is to restore it to its previous glory and try to show it some. I was wondering what the original colors were on it. I know Farmall red is a given but the IH white is more of a tan than what I remember the tractor being when Dad purchased it.
Of course, the paint won?t matter if I can't get it running but I hope that won't be too tall of a task.
A little more info in case it is needed: it is a tricycle front and Daddy always called it a Cotton Picker Special. Shuttle shift tranny. I believe it to be a 1964 model but wont know for sure until I get it dug out and can check the serial number on it.
Any info will be greatly appreciated.

WESnIL
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall 504 paints Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The white should be IH 935 white, which is a cream color, in contrast to the older 901 which is more of a pure white.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall 504 paints Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The color red is the worst to fade. If you want the paint to last I would recommend using automotive paints. It might cost more but the color will last a whole lot longer.

Bullard504F
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall 504 paints Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks

centash
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall 504 paints Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I painted this 504 gas over the winter. I got the red from the dealer and mixed up some cream toned white myself. 20 footer paint job.

Ben

Bullard504F
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall 504 paints Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That?s a good looking tractor!!!! Hope mine turns out that nice

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall 504 paints Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My basic rule for painting tractors is: Don't put good paint over a five hour prep job and don't put cheap paint over a fifty hour prep job. Cheap paint is implement paint from the dealer, and my good paint is low end PPG automotive out of the Nason line.

The first is my friend's H which was restored for him by the FFA kids around twelve years ago with tractor paint on it. The second is my 901 which got the Nason paint

yakob
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall 504 paints Reply to specific post Reply with quote

showcrop wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:53:59 08/08/19)
My basic rule for painting tractors is: Don't put good paint over a five hour prep job and don't put cheap paint over a fifty hour prep job. Cheap paint is implement paint from the dealer, and my good paint is low end PPG automotive out of the Nason line..

To be clear, don't go to a PPG jobber looking for Nason. Everything else is solid advice.

Married2Allis
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall 504 paints Reply to specific post Reply with quote

2150 Red from your Case-IH dealer is a good choice if you're not an experienced painter and have decent basic painting equipment.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Paint and Bodywork All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters