Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Small engine oil change

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Northvale PA
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: Small engine oil change Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Great advice to sell more engines. Which of us would use the same bath water forever and think we
would be getting clean?

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: Small engine oil change Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The oil plug is stripped on my Honda Accord I got a bigger one in it and sealed so now use one like in your pix that's ran off air pressure it does not get it all maybe leaves 1/2 qt in the engine so short change the oil...

Also google

small engine oil drain plug extension

VicS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: Small engine oil change Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think you guys overrate how clean you get your engine letting it drain out the drain hole. Generally they have a lip, good vacuum pump may do a better job!

Texasmark1
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: Small engine oil change Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a Husq. 26" 2 blade rider and love it because it will cut wet grass without clogging and is all I use in the spring when all the manufactured deck ZTs
(have 3 of them) clog in a New York Minute......so this isn't a thumb-your-nose reply.

Problem with never changing oil is that full flow filters only collect down to 20 microns. The "film" that occurs below that molecular size remains in the
engine. I change my oil when it gets dirty, not some time table.

Oh and on air cooled engine temps, I run full syn in mine because of so called high temps. One day I worked one of mine hard and brought it in and got
out the non-contact infrared thermometer and the highest temp I could find was 187F. Since dino oil starts going down hill around 240 or thereabouts as I
read, looks like dino would do just fine in air cooled engines......sounds good but in fact, moving to full syn allowed me to change once per season or on a
bi-seasonal basis, rather than 2 or 3 times per season that was required with dino oils of the same viscosity.

Texasmark1
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: Small engine oil change Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Obviously exhaust components were hotter, around 500F, but in checking the crankcase area where the oil resides.

timcasbolt
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: Small engine oil change Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Lamont in NC wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:28:56 06/21/19) I'm curious how small engine shops and others who do a lot of small engine repairs handle oil changes. The drain plugs on pressure washers, push mowers, generators, tillers etc are never in a place for easy draining w/o making a mess. Even excluding the oil running all over the equipment they are rarely made in a way I can get a catch basin under them. There has to be a better way.

Yesterday I grabbed an old 2' tall 18" x 36" plastic shelving unit to use as a work table for a pressure washer. When I changed the oil I let it run out across the frame of the washer (couldn't do much elseJ) then through the shelf and I put a oil catch pan on the shelf under it--worked quite well. Today I had the bright idea of putting that shelving unit on wheels and putting it to use like this more often. I was a bit concerned about how much weight it'd handle so I sat on it and found it holds less than 160lbs the hard way. In fairness it was a section of shelving that had been left outside for a couple years and was brittle from sun exposure most likely.

Before I create another project for myself making a table I can drain oil, gas etc directly on and have it run to a container I'd like to hear or see some setups that might work better or just as well and not involve me getting started on another project.

On a lot of boats with inboard engines, there is no way to get a pan under the oil drain because the engine sits just above the bilge. In these situations there is no choice but to pump the oil out from the dipstick tube. Every marina in the country sells a pump for this purpose.

taem
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Small engine oil change Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Shop vac with a 5 gal bucket as the receiver. leave the top on, cement in a plastic pipe connector to sleeve to shop vac hose and a smaller one for the suction hose to the mower, wand from a piece of plastic tubing to fit the fill hole. takes about 1 minute to suck it out.

FullPullLarry
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Small engine oil change Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Boat lower end suction tool all the way. If you use that on the crankcase and pull the drain plug you won't get anything more than if you originally pulled the drain.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters