Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Welding engine block

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill from Scotland
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject: Welding engine block Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've a frost damaged engine block, large chunk out the side of the engine. I'm guessing it will weld but develop small cracks as it cools. Could the repair be coated by JD weld and a can of internal sealant be poured into the cooling system. What are the chance this will work?

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Welding engine block Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It might work, but then it might not...

There could be other damage elsewhere too.

If it's yours, and just want to give it a try, not much to loose at this point.

If it's a large flat area, I've seen a plate bolted in place with a thick gasket or epoxy behind it.

The sealer will stop small leaks. Follow the directions, most require a pressurized system to work, so be sure the thermostat and rad cap are good.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Welding engine block Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Probably anything you do for it won't hold. If you can't find a replacement block you might try lock and stitch and then braze the seam. If you have chunks out I don't see how you could not have water jacket issues you wouldn't be able to get to.

teddy52food
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Welding engine block Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had a 67 440 Chrysler that broke a rod & put a hole in each side under the water jacket. I broke up & ground pieces of cast to fit the holes. Welded a little at a time with 99 nickel rod. Put another 80 or 90 thousand on it before I sold it.

VicS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Welding engine block Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've got a fortune in a block with a hole 3". I cleaned it with alcohol, dried it with air. Then laid screen wire over the hole pushed it down into the hole a little then put another piece over the top. JB Welded it 1/2" deep. Hope it holds a long time.

george md
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Welding engine block Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do yourself a big favor , don't weld it . Look on line for lock n stitch

pins , they work. If you need more info send me an email and I'll send you some

pictures. I did a 427 ford side oiler last year , took 125 pins but when done

it did not leak under pressure . It was cracked in both banks.

Beginning the lock n stitch repair

georger

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Welding engine block Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Unless it is irreplaceable, just easier to get a different block.

M-MAN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: Welding engine block Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have seen several Deere's with big chunks like that welded back in. Some were done with plain old 7018 and held up fine. Depends on cleanliness and your welding skill. No it isn't the prettiest but it works.

jtwat
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Welding engine block Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Go to www.muggyweld.com
They have welding rods that work on cast.

jtwat
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Welding engine block Reply to specific post Reply with quote

https://www.muggyweld.com/

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Restoration and Repair Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters