Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Perkins AD 3 152 breathing issue

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jackangel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:11 am    Post subject: Perkins AD 3 152 breathing issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi all,

I just registered the forum after having read a lot of threads here as a guest, writing form Italy.

Hence my issue. I ve been owning since some months an old Landini 55hp which is the same tractor as MF 154, 165 . It s got Perkins AD 3 152 DIESEL on it same engin of 135,231 etc

Tacho reads 7000hs even if I cannot swear it had not rune w/o tacho on. It starts fine hot and cold (not tested yet at temp lower than 5C 41F yet). I use it for some gardening issues, land rolling and fertilizer spraying. Say 20 hours per year.

Here the problem: it breathes a lot from valve cover breathing hose, from dipstick and from oil filler cap. Here s the video. I do also find drops of oil on the floor after she is shut down.

This is the only issue so far- at least the only one noticeable. I am aware this could be due to worn bore /sleeves / worn valves so I decide to do diagnosis myself also thank to youtube video on this Perkins motor (Bundybearshed and cheaphomesteading channels did really help, great guys).

Got cheap ebay tool for compression testing the engine, these are the readings I got.

Cyl#1 (radiator side) 290/300 psi tried to squirt some oil in and it peaked up to 420psi It
Cyl #2 370/380 psi (no oil squirt test here) I know 400 psi is the desired value
Cyl #3 - 370/380 psi(no oil squirt test here
)

As cyl 2 and 3 seemed good compression I did not made the oil test. I suspect cyl #1 is down. To me, as long as cyls2/3 are not bad this in now and overall wear, I may suspect stuck rings oin cyl 1 only. Your comments are welcome.

I took off also the valve cover and breathing does not come from valve but from passages in the head heading down to pan.

Thermostat does work indeed, gauge stays at half of the scale, green area. Oil pressure is around 3,5/4bar (50/55 psi) both hot and cold at 1000 rpm.

Oil level is not raising and does not look milky so neither diesel nor water are leaking from head to block. The exhaust does not smoke at all when warmed up.

So here some ways I d go for:

- Try seafoam (not available here) or ATF with acetone to have piston soaking for some days . can I just undo the injectors and fill the cylinder with seafoam?

- Going for an in frame rebuild or at least pistons rings replacement? Can I do this with crankshaft still on? In case also sleeves should be removed, can I do this as well with the shaft on? I read some topic on inframe 135 advice and many of you just suggested to tear the engine dew to replace rear shaft seal I do not know whether it is worth in my case do to small hours of work I do

I thank you all for help, and sorry for mixture of Italian English!

Cheers

ptfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Perkins AD 3 152 breathing issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If your engine has good oil pressure a in frame rebuild will be good. If you have low oil pressure also then the engine needs to come out so you can do all the main bearings (and or turn the crank if it's worn). On my 135 the number one cylinder has bad rings, and is low on oil pressure also so mine needs to come out.

Jackangel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Perkins AD 3 152 breathing issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thnaks.

So you'll skip seafoam soaking?

the pressure is those you see in the gauge not at idle but I'd say around 1000/1500 rpm...

John Deere D
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Perkins AD 3 152 breathing issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good day...
I run a Perkins A3.152.......

With the engine operating running at normal operating temperature....Thermostat stat works?......175 F >180 F + ...Engine RPM at min
speed....
Loosen off # 1 fuel injector Line and take note (visually)of amount of engine blow by from Engine OIL filler tube.....
Tighten # 1 line back up and
Loosen off # 2 fuel injector Line and take note (visually)of amount of engine blow by from Engine OIL filler tube.....
Tighten # 2 line back up and
Loosen off # 3 fuel injector Line and take note(visually) of amount of engine blow by from Engine OIL filler tube.....
Tighten # 3 line back up and

Was there any obvious (visually) difference in the amount of engine blow by from Engine OIL filler tube between any of the cylinders when
fuel lines were loosened off..????

I have seen large scaled Monometers on 4000 >10,000 HP Piston Engines monitoring Crankcase pressure...

Bob....North Western Alberta Canada...

Jackangel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Perkins AD 3 152 breathing issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thank you all.

Do you deem the blow by seen in the video I posted is a lot?

So is not worth a try with seafom soak on cyl #1?

what do you think about other compression readings?

Grazie - thasnk

John Deere D
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Perkins AD 3 152 breathing issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is there any history of starting fluid "Ether" ever used on this Engine?

C'? qualche storia di fluido di partenza "Ether" mai usato su questo motore?

Bob....

FullPullLarry
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Perkins AD 3 152 breathing issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ptfarmer wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:30:20 07/05/19) If your engine has good oil pressure a in frame rebuild will be good. If you have low oil pressure also then the engine needs to come out so you can do all the main bearings (and or turn the crank if it's worn). On my 135 the number one cylinder has bad rings, and is low on oil pressure also so mine needs to come out.

I agree if you're slick with your tools you can do sleeves in the frame and have it running nice but those are good compression numbers.

Jackangel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Perkins AD 3 152 breathing issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-John Deere D wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:13:44 07/06/19) Is there any history of starting fluid "Ether" ever used on this Engine?

C'? qualche storia di fluido di partenza "Ether" mai usato su questo motore?

Bob....

do not know... I bought it as second hand by a guy who sold the farm i found on internet..... is Ether hamrful for engine somehow?

Jackangel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Perkins AD 3 152 breathing issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i see noone is suggestin seafoam soak... I read some of you speak very high about it..

MKinON
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Perkins AD 3 152 breathing issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ether can sometimes cause broken piston rings, or even worse damage.

Jackangel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Perkins AD 3 152 breathing issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-MKinON wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:10:29 07/07/19) Ether can sometimes cause broken piston rings, or even worse damage.

I used to run Ether on old 2 strokes engine..... Embarassed

Is my assumption on cyl 1 stuck rings likely given the comrpession numbers?

The compression testing tool is the cheap version you find on ebay.... maybe not so accurate...

Jackangel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Perkins AD 3 152 breathing issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-John deere D wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:51:17 07/05/19) Good day...

With the engine operating running at normal operating temperature....Thermostat stat works?......175 F >180 F + ...Engine RPM at min
speed....
Loosen off # 1 fuel injector Line and take note (visually)of amount of engine blow by from Engine OIL filler tube.....
Loosen off # 2 fuel injector Line and take note (visually)of amount of engine blow by from Engine OIL filler tube.....
Loosen off # 3 fuel injector Line and take note(visually) of amount of engine blow by from Engine OIL filler tube.....

Was there any obvious (visually) difference in the amount of engine blow by from Engine OIL filler tube between any of the cylinders when

I have seen large scaled Monometers on 4000 >10,000 HP Piston Engines monitoring Crankcase pressure...

thermostat valve has benn replace and it works fine. gauge is Always in the green area... when you say about loosening off fuel line do you mean just unscrew them to get them loose , or disconnect them from injector

Jackangel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Perkins AD 3 152 breathing issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-John deere D wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:51:17 07/05/19) Good day...

speed....

Thermostat valve has been replaced and it works fine, gauge stays always in the green area to is around 80/90 C - 180 F

When you write about loosening injectors fuel liens to do the test, do you men have them just unscrewed (till they leak) or properly disconnect the fuel hose going to the injector?

Thanks to you all

Jackangel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Perkins AD 3 152 breathing issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

sorry for posting twice the above replies but Post editing is temporarily disabled so i could not delete it..

after having read several post on mmo and/or seafoam I still do not understnad whether they are a possible way to go or not...

in case they do not work for my purposes, do they cause damages to engine block /head?

Jackangel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Perkins AD 3 152 breathing issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi guys, Hi Bob,

i gave a try to do what you suggested by disconnecting the injector lines one by one and I did not notice any great reduction of blow by and most for, oil filler cap envy if I was under the impression when disconnecting the injector on cylinder #1 the sound of the engine did not change noticeably while it did when disconnecting others.

So I am quite lost here The blow by is huge and when engine on at min rpm if I pull out the dipstick I got oil spits everywhere due to pressure blow by..

Thanks to all!

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Massey Harris & Massey Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters