Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Paint

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jubilee 1953
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject: Paint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok need some advice, I don't know if I should clear coat or not. Here is my process, all parts were bead blasted, primed with red primer TP 3987 then painted with Ford Vermillion Red TP 2822 with 1 oz of hardener. I like the shine but now not sure if I should clear coat or not, if I do the clear coat I will be using is Gloss Acrylic Lacquer TP447. I don't want to mess up the paint job that I all ready have going but I also don's want it to fade. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Jimmy

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: Paint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Jubilee 1953 wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:40:19 07/22/19) Ok need some advice, I don't know if I should clear coat or not. Here is my process, all parts were bead blasted, primed with red primer TP 3987 then painted with Ford Vermillion Red TP 2822 with 1 oz of hardener. I like the shine but now not sure if I should clear coat or not, if I do the clear coat I will be using is Gloss Acrylic Lacquer TP447. I don't want to mess up the paint job that I all ready have going but I also don's want it to fade. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Jimmy

You need to go to the paint company's tech sheets to determine compatibility and length of recoat window, and whatever other limitations there may be.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: Paint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's generally not a good idea to clear coat a single stage paint. There are base coat/clear coat paints that go on flat that need the clear coat to give them a sheen but a single stage paint will shine on it's own but they need to be compatible with each other. On a single stage paint the clear would be just something to peal on you down the road.

The color red is just prone to fade. It's what makes red automotive paint very expensive. It's formulated to fade much less than other paints.

I believe the paint you used is an alkyd enamel. If you were to put a lacquer clear coat over enamel it would wrinkle up like you put paint stripper on it. Lacquer contains acetone which is a very hot solvent. You have to be careful what you put it on. Lacquer clear coats are made for lacquer base coats.

dr sportster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Paint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is the base coat ready for acrylic lacquer ? Is this one paint system or mixing of brands?

murray moore
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What is TP - Tisco Primer? Tisco does have a clearcoat for the alkyd type enamel they offer (that is a VanSickle product line) Its not a two-part clear. Single stage, out of the can clear.

Good advice here from those below if you do use a compatible clear, its best to spray within the recoat window the spec-sheet provides. This will give the best chance for cross linking and chemically bonding the clear to the red.

I have used similar alkyd enamels and clear coats. 12 years later, and outdoor storage and the red is just fine. I used the clear to help delay or prolong UV light on the red.

It would be best to compare one paint job against the other - meaning one with clear and one with no cc. To adequately know if there is a benefit.

If you can spray within the time frame using compatible products - it wont hurt.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Paint and Bodywork All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters