Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

IH 3309 haybine

View previous topic :: View next topic  
glivengood62
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:26 am    Post subject: IH 3309 haybine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I recently received this mower from my dad's estate. It has been setting in the barn for years and had a broken piece that I sent to a mechanic and he fixed. Took it out last week and mowed and could hear a slight screeching sound.....

After review we found a bearing that was worn and also gears.

Question is this.....

for lack of better terminology, there are several what I call turtle shells where the blades attach. There is a nut in the center of the shell that once removed the shell is removed and 4 allen bolts are taken out and the spin unit comes out. There is a gear on the bottom and well as the gear below that is hooked to a rod. Now I cannot assume that the rod for the lower gear goes all the way across the cutter. There is no way the lower gear would slide out.

There is a plate below each gear....that looks like with 4 bolts would come off....can any advise how the lower gear and rod comes out?My owners manual that my dad has shows nothing about the rod or gear.

Wisconsin Cowman
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: IH 3309 haybine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Start on the right side of the cutter bar there is bolts or nuts holding each housing together. Then you can remove the pinion gear that is bad in drive housing. When going back to together remember to time the cutting bar.

glivengood62
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: IH 3309 haybine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

so when I take the turtle lid off...and I take out the mold that holds the top gear....you have the opening that you see the lower gear and the gear rod.

there appears to be a plate with 2 bolts on top in front and 2 bolts on the bottem in back..that if you took them out the plate would lower and you would see the bottom of the gear and rod....is this the right approach to remove the gear?

and if so...how does the gear come off the rod? I have 8 cutters or turtles as I call them and the rod could not be a continuous one as you would never get the gears pulled out and not all of them are bad.

Wisconsin Cowman
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: IH 3309 haybine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The hex shaft runs through all the driver gears. Each section has to be removed until you reach the bad one there nuts you remove that are on studs. There are spacers between each drive housing.

LarryH
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 3309 haybine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I should have good used ones call 270-528-2134 7-4 cst

JMS/.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: IH 3309 haybine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You do not have a hay bine- Haybine is a New Holland trademark for their sickle mower-conditioner. Sounds like you have a disc moco. Easier to order parts with the correct description. I had a NI 5209 disc moco and the contruction was the same as others described. Take it apart starting at the end opposite of the drive system, until you get to the gearbox that is bad. NI also used a single hex drive shaft for all turtles. Now that I think about it, NI mfgd the IH units.

Northvale PA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 3309 haybine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a NI 5209. I believe the manual explains how to disassemble every thing. It will take many hours but is not complicated. Mark the parts so they got back on the same units. Everything is interchangeable but machines with wear do not have identical parts exactly.

longmeadowfarm
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: IH 3309 haybine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree with Northville PA... the "manual" is quite good and has assisted me with disassembly and service over the years. The 5209 was of an original New Idea design. It was rebranded by Case/IH as a 3309 and when New Idea was bought by Hesston it was rebranded again as an 1109 Hesston. It lives on today as an AGCO/Massey Ferguson 1359. The 5209/3309 may have a solid or segmented hex drive shaft... disassembly is different for each ..and is easier with the segmented shaft. The segmented shaft machines were introduced around 1994 ( A guess) but check the serial number first... also my operator/users/shop manual identifies the serial number break. Later models had greasable pods so you didn't have to dissemble every 100 hours of operation or so and fill/refill the pod sump with EPO grease. These early non-greasable pod machines typically were run dry of grease and finding an older serviceable model is quite rare. If run dry the gears are probably rather worn and removing the wear shims will not rectify the issue. The 5209/3309 will operate with gear lash out of spec but not that well. The number two pod upper bearing typically wears out as it does double duty slinging the grass into the rollers... as does the number 6 pod. Swinging the pods will tell you if you have any drag and thus a bearing problem. If your bearing problem is not the top but lower bearing... I would suggest that the machine may need a complete cutter bar rebuild. .. as it was probably run dry. Also I check my pods every time I finish using the machine for extraordinary heat buildup..top of the pod ..put your hand on them... for any sign of bearing failure...never got to the squealing stage. My 5209 is a great machine which i still use on an average of 150 acres per year... but it is well maintained and always shedded. My replacement parts have recently come from my local Case/NH/IH Dealer. Good luck

glivengood62
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: IH 3309 haybine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I did not get the manual.

I am being told you have to take off each turtle cover and slide off in order to get to the turtle that either needs new bearings or gears.

I have taken all of the bolts off the side that allows the cutterbar to drop and have taken both the frond and rear hex bolt nuts off...but the casing that has the lower gear will not slide off. I did find a key lock and removed...but don't have enough room n the other side to see if there is one there.

I am thinking there is a longer rod that goes the length of the cutterbar...and that each lower gear rod slides over that and hooks..but not sure how.

Course I am in the field and I was mowing and it broke down.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters