Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

would this be hard to fix?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gotmyfarm!
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:40 am    Post subject: would this be hard to fix? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Trying to find a side rake to buy. There is one near me that says, "Solid rake needs gear box work just a pin or dog is all it needs." Is this a big deal to fix this? I think it might be a NH56? It's a NH something. no front wheel and star 5 bar with metal not rubber teeth bases. If I have heavy hay to rake, should I ONLY consider a non-belt rake?

Fritz Maurer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: would this be hard to fix? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think that there are enough NH 56s out there... buy one that works, save yourself some time unless you can get this rake for nothing or next to nothing. Another thing you might consider is a rake / tedder combination. A New Idea 45G for example. Depends of course on your situation, you don't need a tedder very often, but when you do, the 45G will do as good a job or better as a four-bar tedder.

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: would this be hard to fix? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought an old new Holland 56 for a 100$ it was
well worth every dime

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: would this be hard to fix? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Price is everything,if it only needs a pin why doesn't the seller buy a $5 pin and fix the rake? Easy answer it needs a lot more.Getting into those gearboxes if they haven't had
oil/grease in them can be real expensive.For working NH 56 and 256 rakes at auction in my area will go from $400 to $1000.

gotmyfarm!
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: would this be hard to fix? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

oh, maybe it's more work than the price... $500
there is another one. New Idea 402 with three tires (which I would like) and all metal teeth, but it is belt driven. says good working shape. $575.

Mike(NEOhio)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: would this be hard to fix? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My neighbor got a 256 from another neighbor. Really nice condition but the guy was towing it behind his pickup and the gearbox lever dropped into the engaged position and tore all the dogs out of it. Cost of the box is prohibitive, he's using it from parts for his rusty old 56. Just be careful and check everything.

gotmyfarm!
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: would this be hard to fix? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ok Mike, I'l make sure gear can slip into the ON position. I might go look at that New Idea one. SHould I bring duct tape?! Maybr the belt could easily be taken off for transport? I haven't looked at any rakes yet, so don't know much about them besides what I've read on YT. I like the idea of three wheels instead of two.

gotmyfarm!
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: would this be hard to fix? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

can't. I meant can't instead of can.

PJH
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: would this be hard to fix? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I can't remember about the NH rakes, but my JD rake has provision to disconnect the drive shaft from the gear box for road transport. I'm pretty sure the NH rake has the same setup. It's wise to disconnect as the other poster mentioned.

You mentioned three wheels - some folks like what we call a dolly wheel on the front. My rake has one and I like it. I've used them with and without. You can turn much shorter with the dolly wheel rake.

gotmyfarm!
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: would this be hard to fix? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="CVPost-PJH, what am I looking at here? Is that an extreme jack knife turn, tractor to rake? Wow.
So I just got back. I thought I might buy that new Idea one with the 3rd wheel. It turned out that it was severly bent in the front and the front wheel was sitting diagonal! No way. I was so disappointed. Showed me two others for sale. A Hesston 3800, but I didn't like how close the frame was to one of the tires and it didn't have a third wheel and it was missing A LOT of teeth and it was more expensive than I wanted to spend. The other one was another New Idea 402, but it didn't have a front tire, darn. And it is missing the belt and needs a few teeth, BUT it was $200 so I took it. Belt can't be that much, can it? And some teeth? Got it pulled home 36 miles. Wish it had that front wheel but as long as it works, it's ok.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: would this be hard to fix? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The 47G is the last version of the New idea. A lot of parts are no longer avaible but the Amish are now producing some of them. And any of the steel wheel No. 4, No. 44, No. 45G or 47G will do good work and the tedder part is very desireable. That is why they are about the top desireable rake for the Amish. Rember the New Idea company went out of buissness in 99 I believe. Agco might still have some parts but I would not count on it. New Holland and John Deere are about the only rakes you can be half way sure of getting parts for. The 4,44, 45G & 47G are the only New Idea I would even look at. 4 & 44 are high steel wheel, 45G & 47G are low rubber. I have handled dozens of them for the Amish including rebuilding them using parts rakes. Check out the New Holland very good but that is the only tractor rake I would now consider. Remember the 4, 44, 45G & 47G are all designed as horse rakes. The New Idea was built 30-35 mile from where I am now living. But those older New Idea in top condition will retail for $800 up.

Hay hay hay
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: would this be hard to fix? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That is a great deal. I have 2 of those rakes and they work great. I have raked as much as 100 acres a year with the main one. the other is a backup. The belt has lasted 17 years on mine so far, sitting out in the rain. Putting the belt on is a couple hour job and you will need the diagram. Buy a manual just for that job. Grease it well, it has bushings on the axle. Here is the good part, the belt is still available from New Idea and about $150 bucks. Don't try to save $50 bucks and end up changing it twice. Good luck. You made a good buy.

gotmyfarm!
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: would this be hard to fix? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Too bad the guy didn't have a 47G for sale! It's getting later in the season and what is available close enough to me is limited, so I just bought the 402. Just $200 but needs a belt.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: would this be hard to fix? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hope it works out for you. I would have left it set even for $20, Those rakes were not though that good in the area they were made in. Supprises me if that belt is even avaible from Agco any more. Keep looking for a good New Holland so you have a rake to go with when the hay is ready.

gotmyfarm!
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: would this be hard to fix? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

$150??? Geesh, I was thinking $50 tops! ok, well add the cost for some new teeth and maybe it'll still be an okay buy. Hope everything else works okay on it. I did notice the side opposite the belt, that disc that holds the bars, has a lot of play in it. Is that some bushing that needs to be replaced that I will never find online or at a store? Is there a good specific website to get these parts? Glad you think it's a good rake!

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters