Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Broken pitman stick

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roger in Iowa
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken pitman stick Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Might try raising the tip of the guards up to help the cut material flow off the cutterbar. Won't cut as close to the
ground but would help reduce the load on the cutting components, by not recutting the cut material.

MtMan
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken pitman stick Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You should have a slip clutch on the PTO shaft. Look and see if it is working properly. It should slip before any thing gets broken. The clutch should maybe be adjusted. Make sure it's not rusted together.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken pitman stick Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pitman mowers have their limit as to what they will cut,and if a section has had a grinder to it,it ain't ever really sharp again.Look for a JD 350/450 or a NH 451/456.

300guy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken pitman stick Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I broke several sticks on my old IH 27V mower because the slip clutch was set too tight. I finally set it really loose so any clog would ratchet the clutch and no more broken sticks.

jacksun65
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken pitman stick Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Listen to the mower sounds like you are going to fast for the crop. It will talk when the chatters sound more like a thump slow down.

Lazy WP
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken pitman stick Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Throw away the single guards. Set the register
correctly. (I disagree with SVCummins as they have
to shear the same both directions no matter what
brand) angle your bar up in front a bit, make sure
your hold downs are close but not in a bind. Slow
the rpms down to about 350 on the pto. LISTEN TO
THE MOWER if it?s talking you are abusing it.
I have broken my share of pitman sticks but usually
it?s from hitting a stump or T post.
I have NEVER SEEN a slip clutch on a mower and I
have operated many.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Broken pitman stick Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Only on certain models, The No. 5 is center to center.

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Broken pitman stick Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Again From the manual you do not time a John Deere that way! It travels passed the same distance both ways you can disagree all you want but it isn?t right

James Howell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Broken pitman stick Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"have NEVER SEEN a slip clutch on a mower"

Take a look at the POWER SHAFT, TRACTOR TO MOWER diagram below.

Note the slip clutch descriptions (Key 8 - Key 14).

Take a look at the photo below.

Hope this helps.

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Broken pitman stick Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The only limit the Have is people that won?t read the manual and won?t adopt the ideas used on the newer mowers I can cut short wiry grass or triticale 8 mph with no issues

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Broken pitman stick Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The biggest problem people have getting a machine to work is failing to either read or failure to understand how and why you adjust it . Here?s the right way and even the sales brochure on why it?s that way

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Broken pitman stick Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You are running 8 MPH with a pitman mower? Some of the guys with disc mowers need to trade for your sickle bar(LOL)

lastcowboy32
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Broken pitman stick Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My guess is that it's out west somewhere.

In those fields on the prairie, two men can lay down at opposite ends of the field a quarter mile apart, and still see each other through the grass stems.

I have patches of thin, wiry grass that are thick as hair on a dog, and I'll eat a hot steaming plop from said dog if anyone buzzes through it at 8MPH with a sickle mower.

That being said, reading the advice I've seen, I'm sure that SV's sickle mower is tuned in top notch condition.

Farmallb
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Broken pitman stick Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Who sharpened your sections? I always thought I could sharpen a sickle, but I finally took mine to
a professional sharpening business, and they did a great job some 20yrs ago. Need to do it again.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken pitman stick Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wildsawmill, I bet you won't look for advice here again, LOL.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters