Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Would you drive 10 miles for 50 bucks?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:34 pm    Post subject: Would you drive 10 miles for 50 bucks? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I sold some tractor parts to a guy, took them to him at the county fair.
He handed me money and I made the cardinal sin of not counting it.
I just stuck it in my pocket.
When I got home I realized he had given me $50 too much.
So I sent him a note, but didn't hear anything back.
The next day I sent him another note to make sure I was clear
that he had given me too much money.
This time he called me and we had a friendly conversation about
it, but he wasn't interested in driving the 10 miles to my house
and didn't want me to make that drive to bring it back to him.
Just wanted me to mail him a check instead.
Should I deduct the price of a stamp? LOL

J.Mc
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you drive 10 miles for 50 bucks? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

He's lucky that you are respectable enough to even contact him to let him know he overpaid you. Seems most people anymore would just say " he shoulda checked before he gave it too me". I think my moral compass would have me just take the 10 minute drive and hand it too him... more for peace of mind than any other reason..

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you drive 10 miles for 50 bucks? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did he ask if your check was any good?
😶

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you drive 10 miles for 50 bucks? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would have drove it back down there J.Mc, even though that 10
mile drive is not 10 minutes around here. More like 20 minutes.
Trying to find a person without a set meeting place/time at a fair
attended by hundreds of thousands of people would be the problem.

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you drive 10 miles for 50 bucks? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Ultradog MN wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:19:16 07/21/19) Did he ask if your check was any good?

Nope. But then I never get asked that question. LOL

Jim L WA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you drive 10 miles for 50 bucks? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Royce, be very careful about sending this guy a check. He will then have your bank account number. I would send him a money order.

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you drive 10 miles for 50 bucks? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the warning Jim L WA. I get what you're saying.
Truly though, every time you write a check, the people and
companies you write them to have that information. As do all of
the employees in a company that handle that check to process it.

I don't think this guy is a thief. He bought good used tractor parts
to help his dad fix his tractor. I'm told his dad handed him the money.

Busy, hot weekend I guess.
One degree below the record high here this weekend and humidity
to the point where it was just miserable out. Heat index around 105F.

born2farm
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Would you drive 10 miles for 50 bucks? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You know how many miles pg you get,deduct that from the $50 and give him the balance.It will cost him to come and get it,it will cost you to deliver it. We all have paid shipping cost before.

OBwan
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you drive 10 miles for 50 bucks? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here is a story that happened to me.

I was traveling between two work locations that were 45 minutes apart. I noticed something odd on the side of the road, stopped and walked back to look at it. It was a woman's clutch wallet that had evidently slid off the top of her car as she left a nearby gas station. It had some credit cards and other items. There was also money that was scattered about like an Easter egg hunt. I collected what I could find,about 30 dollars worth, and left. I was able to track her down that evening and told her what I had found and offered to send it to her. She remarked that she really needed her driver's license and there was around 175 dollars in the wallet but I had not found that. The next day I drove the half hour from work and searched the area and found her license, some other items and about 75 dollars. There was a small amount of fun walking up and down the sides of the road picking up 5s, 10s and a few 20s. I called her back, told her what I had and asked for an address. She told me to keep the cash and send her the rest. I didn't think that was right so I kept about thirty dollars, told her she bought me lunch and a few gallons of gas and mailed her the rest. Funny thing is later I still felt uneasy about keeping the cash.

So I guess the moral of the story is do what your conscience tells you. If you feel you need to send him the money, put cash or a money order in the mail but don't nitpick about the price of the stamp. Think about six months from now when you think about it. Will you be satisfied you did the right thing?

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you drive 10 miles for 50 bucks? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nice story OBwan.
Deducting the stamp price was a joke, not going to happen.
Multiple trips, your gas money and time is worth something though.
Don't feel guilty about a reward for all the extra effort you went through.
Heck, you didn't have to stop to begin with!

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: Would you drive 10 miles for 50 bucks? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Royse wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:34:24 07/21/19) I sold some tractor parts to a guy, took them to him at the county fair.
He handed me money and I made the cardinal sin of not counting it.
I just stuck it in my pocket.
When I got home I realized he had given me $50 too much.
So I sent him a note, but didn't hear anything back.
The next day I sent him another note to make sure I was clear
that he had given me too much money.
This time he called me and we had a friendly conversation about
it, but he wasn't interested in driving the 10 miles to my house
and didn't want me to make that drive to bring it back to him.
Just wanted me to mail him a check instead.
Should I deduct the price of a stamp? LOL
gov allowance is 58 cents/mile X 20= $11.61, so I would buy the stamp and tell you"thank you, sir".

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters