Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

NH needles, braze or weld?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:45 am    Post subject: NH needles, braze or weld? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I now have 2 sets of broken NH needles. I've seen mention of brazing them for repair. Is that the preferred method or welding?

Chester5731
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: NH needles, braze or weld? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would weld with nickel rod. I think it would be stronger.

JOCCO
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: NH needles, braze or weld? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I HAVE SEEN NICKLE and braze. What caused the breakage? Some welded ones work some don't.

Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: NH needles, braze or weld? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The first set was stretched chains and a timing issue. The 2nd set was either the needle bail catching the dirt as I went over a hill as it tried to cycle to tie or a chunk of wood that got into the hay. Can't say with as the whole thing happened at about the same time.

I'm leaning towards brazing as I'm real good at that. I believe these are cast steel and not easy to weld, or so I'm told. I won't pretend to be the worlds greatest welder.

JOCCO
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: NH needles, braze or weld? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am not a fan of it if you could buy a needle. But one tip. Take a good one and use it as a template to get it same shape. I have seen some welded couple different spots.

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: NH needles, braze or weld? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think ours are welded with nickel rod. The welder guy did so many back in the day, he had a jig he placed them in. He put short rods down each side groove and
welded the rod in so it isn?t just the crack welded, but some lengthwise strength from the rod over the joint.

I was a kid, the chain broke and with rain coming dad totally forgot about timing the baler..... one of the few mistakes like that he ever made, didn?t think it through.

Still baling with the same baler.

Paul

Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: NH needles, braze or weld? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dad and I brazed lots and lots of them over the years. We had a jig made from flat plate to hold them in
alignment, both arc and side to side, when brazing. V out the broken edges good and deep on the sides.

We never tried arc welding them with nickle rod.---------------Loren

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: NH needles, braze or weld? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had a big cast piece welded and they used
stainless steel flux core wire to weld it

WayneLee
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: NH needles, braze or weld? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We brazed here but either may work

Dan in North Houston
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: NH needles, braze or weld? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Our Ford 530 baler broke a chain and got out of time. Both needles were brazed back together and worked fine for years.

flying belgian
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: NH needles, braze or weld? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I brazed mine. Been working for thousands of bales. Got a stick in the bale chamber which glanced the needle off to the side.

DYNOJOE
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: NH needles, braze or weld? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

silver solder all the way..

Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: NH needles, braze or weld? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I ended up brazing them. I should have gotten a bigger tip as I was having a hard time getting things hot enough, but it seems to be strong enough even if it wasn't my prettiest job.

I took a stab with the arc welder but I didn't have the right rod. I was told 7018 might work good, especially if I can heat 4-6" either side of the break with a weed burner or something. A neighbor offered some Ni-rod but it's 1/4"!!! My little AC rig does better at half that diameter.

Ended up buying a parts machine for the knotters (a 271, which I'd never seen before) and the guy threw in a brand new needle. I'm going to hunt up another one just in case!

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: NH needles, braze or weld? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bret4207
Is the plunger head stop in "working order" on your baler? If not it needs to be repaired.

Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: NH needles, braze or weld? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tx Jim wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:27:40 08/08/19)
Bret4207
Is the plunger head stop in "working order" on your baler? If not it needs to be repaired.

Yes Jim, it's working and adjusted properly. The last breakage, I THINK, was the result of a piece of wood going in the bale chamber at about the same time the needle bail hit a slight hummock as I crossed a hill. I probably couldn't duplicate it again if I tried. This in the needles breaking (one in 3 pieces), the flywheel bolt shearing and the knotter drive bolt shearing. It was just a freak thing. I'm not sure exactly what the wood did, but it seems likely it could have wedged itself somewhere the needles could hit it. Or maybe it blocked the plunger stop somehow. My timing was dead on, in fact the plunger is ahead of the needles an inch or so more than is considered "safe".

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters