Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Rustoleum 2 types?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sald
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Rustoleum 2 types? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I painted my Farmall A with HVLP using Rustoleum "Farm Equipment" paint. I got it from Amazon and today picked up what I thought was the same thing at Tractor Supply. I just noticed that it is "Farm and Implement" both are International Red.
So what is the difference?

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Rustoleum 2 types? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can't tell you the difference. I know I painted a Kubota tractor about 10 years ago with farm and implement paint and it's holding up pretty good. It hasn't faded very much at all.

sald
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: Rustoleum 2 types? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I sent Rustoleum a message. The description on both products mentions a brush and nothing that distinguishes one from the other.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Rustoleum 2 types? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It may be the paints are the same except for the amount of thinner. The farm and implement paint was thin enough I could spray it without thinning it. You just have to wait to hear from them. Since it's formulated for implements too, it might have some urethane resins in it. They should put this kind of info on the cans instead of warning labels in multiple languages.

ptfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Rustoleum 2 types? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you add the gloss hardener (which I recommend highly) you need to mix in a little enamel reducer for the hardener to work correctly. On your deal chances are they slightly changed the label, so you got one with the old, and one with the new label.

sald
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Rustoleum 2 types? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So they said that the implement paint was more durable and fade resistant. Also, you can paint over the equipment paint with the implement paint after 48 hours.

ptfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Rustoleum 2 types? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-sald wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:45:05 08/02/19) So they said that the implement paint was more durable and fade resistant. Also, you can paint over the equipment paint with the implement paint after 48 hours.
The hardener will still makes it last much longer than it does out of the can. Another plus with the hardener is that you can sand, and buff out any runs, or dull spots. Without the hardener you can't, you will have to respray it.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: Rustoleum 2 types? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That would mean the implement paint has stronger solvents in it and would dry faster. Even after 48 hours if you sand the paint with too coarse paper the solvents can get under the equipment paint and lift it. If you roughen the surface just use a scotchbrite pad or like 400 grit paper to keep that from happening.

sald
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Rustoleum 2 types? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good info. Thanks.

sald
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Rustoleum 2 types? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have been mixing with the following:
5 parts paint
2 parts acetone
10cc valspar hardner

Any thoughts? It is fine but maybe it can be improved?

sald
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Rustoleum 2 types? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sorry meant ounces...
5 oz. Paint
2 oz Acetone
10cc hardner

I double as needed because I have been painting parts as I remove them

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Rustoleum 2 types? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Acetone is too harsh. It might damage the resins that make it up. I went and got a can of the implement paint and the label instructions say to use mineral spirits. Spraying it though you could use naphtha. I wouldn't use anything stronger.

sald
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Rustoleum 2 types? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I read that as well. I saw internet articles that said mineral spirits or thinner took longer to dry so I went with the acetone. I will look into naphtha.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Rustoleum 2 types? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mineral spirits does make the paint dry slower. They recommend that for people that apply the paint with a brush. Naphtha is a suitable solvent that dries faster is why it's recommended for spraying the paint.

Old F-14
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Rustoleum 2 types? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Actually the regular Rustoleum in a can, used to recommend to thin with acetone if spraying....

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Paint and Bodywork All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters