Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Oliver 1650 temperature sending unit issues

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulOhearn
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject: Oliver 1650 temperature sending unit issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Am having issues with accuracy of water temp gage on Oliver 1650 as it was originally reading hot even at cold start. Disconnected wire from sending unit and gage reads cold. Grounded wire to engine block and gage reads hot. So I think gage and wiring Ok. Purchased new sending unit from YT and now gage will not move from cold. Would like to check resistance on new sending unit but don t know what it should be at any temperatures. Any help would be appreciated. Did not put Teflon tape on the threads of the sending unit for a good connection to ground and made sure coolant level was full and above sending unit.

Jim.ME
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Oliver 1650 temperature sending unit issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't know the resistance but will say I never had much luck matching generic sending units to gauges since the Stewart Warner ones have been hard to find. The original SW ones had numbers stamped in them to ID so you could match another SW one. Do you have the old sender? Does it have any number/letter codes stamped in it (often on or near) the hex. Summit and some others have some SW gauges and senders if that is what yours are.

PaulOhearn
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Oliver 1650 temperature sending unit issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well it appears to be a Stewart Warner part number 362-AE so will have to cross reference existing part numbers looks like 362-AH might be comparable.

Jim.ME
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Oliver 1650 temperature sending unit issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hang your old sender in a pan of water and heat it see if the resistance changes as it warms using an ohmmeter, if you want to check it. What does it show for resistance cold, it should be high and get lower as it warms.

PaulOhearn
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Oliver 1650 temperature sending unit issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Confirmed with Stewart Warner that the correct and still available replacement sending unit is 362AH-D. This replaces 362-AE. You are correct that it is available at Summit racing, and also because it was used in Mercruiser sterndrive engines you can get them at West Marine, which Iam guessing is probably the biggest reason they are still available. Thanks for the help love this forum, lots of great knowledge here.

PaulOhearn
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Oliver 1650 temperature sending unit issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have a slight correction to my previous post, the correct sending unit part number to use is 362AJ-D. This is for a 3/8NPT thread where the previous part number 362AH-D was a 1/2NPT which is too large.

Married2Allis
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Oliver 1650 temperature sending unit issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I never trust electric gauges, temp gauges in particular. When replacing my 1650 gauges with the $20 Chinese ones they looked great, but I also installed a mechanical water temp just in case.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Restoration and Repair Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters