Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Stumped on Carb

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject: Stumped on Carb Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Its been 2 years now, and no matter what we have done to this carb, it simply will just not cooperate. Its been apart like 6 times, cleaned, gone through, put back together and it still acts up. The stupid needle keeps sticking closed, and it just doesnt get enough fuel. Weve tried new needles and seats, old needles and seat, even one brass we just happen to find. We modified seats, done anything and everything we can think of to do, and it just simply wont stay running. This week it did run for about an hour straight with no problems. (That needle ad seat came from an H.) Now its back to only running a few minutes. We thought the line might be a problem, so I changed all of that this morning, nope. Pulled the bottom off the carb and the needle is again stuck in the seat. For temp measures we rigged up a tank, needle stil sticks. Im seriously starting to think something is wrong woth the top of the carb making the needle sit cockeyed or something. ANy sugggestions before Mr Avery (My neighbor who owns it.) buys a new carb for the thing?

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Stumped on Carb Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The two ideas I have might help. #1 the tiny tab of brass that lifts the needle can have a wear spot on it that pushes the needle crooked. It can be filled in, or flattened (or replaced with a new float) to fix this (seen it many times). #2 the needle is too tight, or loose, in the seat, and gets stuck. I have used abrasive paper to polish off the triangle edges to make it looser, and also used needles from different carbs to make it fatter. Cutting off and polishing a dome on the new needle by putting it in an electric hand drill !!! Jim

John M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Stumped on Carb Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Its got the carb from my M on it now and its purring right along. I wish Mr Avery would get something lower to the ground, but he loves his Ms. I have put multiple needles and seats in this carb. The one that worked the bast was from an old H he sold 2 years ago. (The man keeps everything.) It worked fine for about 30 minutes or so. The float I know is good, it was mine. His son is coming down this evening with another carb that will have to be rebuilt most likely, so at least he wont have to buy a new one. I still think something is wrong with this top.

Roger Tomfohrde
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Stumped on Carb Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have you checked the float for rubbing on the side? I have tipped the carb over during assembly with it dry. Guy blew into the inlet to make sure it seats. And then flipped it over to hear if it was moving freely.

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Stumped on Carb Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If the top was rethreaded at the seat threads, it could be crooked? Jim

John M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Stumped on Carb Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yep. Its the needle that keeps hanging up. Ive tore the whole carb down with the needle staying stuck in the seat. Ive bored out the seat, filed down the needle, used other needles and seats, etc. Mr Avery has been running it with my carb for close to 3 hours now, not one hiccup. This old M hasn't ran this long on many years. He used it on and off for his garden since 96 or so, and then started using his H. He sold the H a couple of years ago, and pulled the M out a couple of years ago and its been acting up since.

John M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Stumped on Carb Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thought about that. It looks OK, but it could just be off enough to cause it bind, I suppose. The seat looks to be seating fully on the body.

caterpillar guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumped on Carb Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Take the needle with the steel tip and with it in the seat tap it with a small hammer to make it fit the seat better and try . At this time it is no loss. There was a guy near here that did that with all the carbs he rebuilt to set the needle to the seat.

Roger Tomfohrde
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Stumped on Carb Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So the ones in my 560 have a little spring clip that will pull the needle out if it is too low. At least it should as tightly it is in place.

Gary Mitchell
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Stumped on Carb Reply to specific post Reply with quote

After making sure the intake manifold is good I'd probably toss that carb and get another one, however, you might try a cheap, low pressure electric fuel pump. gm

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Stumped on Carb Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is contaminants in the fuel tank. Remove the tank and do a thorough cleaning.

John M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Stumped on Carb Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nope. Its really clean, which really surprises me. I had originally thought a leaf or something was in there, but we flushed it
several times and never got anything out, and the times we have pulled the sediment bulb out there is never nothing in the outlet.
In fact, yesterday when it was actng up, I was able to pull the fuel line off before it died and gas flowed freely. Stuck line
back on and it still acted the same.

John M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Stumped on Carb Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ms dont have that clip.

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Stumped on Carb Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-John M wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:20:55 09/03/19) Nope. Its really clean, which really surprises me. I had originally thought a leaf or something was in there, but we flushed it
several times and never got anything out, and the times we have pulled the sediment bulb out there is never nothing in the outlet.
In fact, yesterday when it was actng up, I was able to pull the fuel line off before it died and gas flowed freely. Stuck line
back on and it still acted the same.

It may look clean, but does it smell clean? Residue from old, stale fuel will cause a needle valve to stick faster than anything else I know of.

D Slater
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Stumped on Carb Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like another carburetor is working okay. Just wondering has the tank been lined? If not a perfect job it can leach into the fuel and stick the needles.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters