Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

D8 15A series G

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DGH

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: D8 15A series G Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am looking at a later series G 15A D8. The pony is missing. What other machines used the same pony engine? What were the common problems with this model. What are the operating pro's and con's? Any advice appreciated.

NCWayne

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: D8 15A series G Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Since you don"t have the pony to start with....and unless you"ve "just gotta have" the pony, convert the old girl to electric start. I worked on the pony engine on a 14A D8 a few years back that is identical to yours except it"s straight drive instead of "powershift". True the pony has certain advantages but all I can say about it is it"s EXPENSIVE to work on.... The main thing I saw on the machine I was dealing with was that if your not running it every day or keeping it stored under cover the mag tends to draw moisture and doesn"t want to work, and that really hits the wallet. Used or aftermarket parts are getting hard to find for it (the pony that is) and those that are still available through CAT, again, are EXPENSIVE.... Give Bill down at Iron Peddlers a call and see if he can locate an electric start setup for your machine. Cost and performance wise you"ll come out alot better off in the long run.

Old Magnet

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: D8 15A series G Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The 15A is not a power shift. It uses a torgue converter drive to a standard type transmission. It was a little odd in that it uses the diesel fuel for the torque converter fluid.....so you don't want to run low or out of fuel. The pony motor shared use with other D8's and D7's of that era. These were the ones (depending on serial number) that had the shared lube system with the main engine of which most were converted back to separate systems. They are a pretty good tractor, either the 14A or 15A. Seeing that you do not have a pony, direct start would be a good choice.

hector gemme

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: D8 15A series G Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I HAVE A REBUILT 15 A PONEY AND MORE PONEY USE PARTS.

NC Wayne

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: D8 15A series G Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I knew that...don"t know why I said Powershift... musta had one of those DUH moments...

Old Magnet

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: D8 15A series G Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We all have some of those moments.LOL....more as ya get older.

DGH

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: D8 15A series G Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for all the information. I will check it out further. Did the 15A have wet steering clutches?

Old Magnet

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: D8 15A series G Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Steering clutches are the dry type.

DGH

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: D8 15A series G Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank-you Old Magnet!

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Crawlers, Dozers, Loaders and Backhoes All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters