Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

8n Perplexed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MississippiMade
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: 8n Perplexed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

First off, I'm a new poster here. I've been a reader for some time. I have a '52 8n that I converted to 12v 16 years ago. I put the alternator & wiring harness on myself back then. I've had a "guy" for the last 16 years who has taken care of the tractor (he's a tractor mechanic in real life and grew up with an 8n). For whatever reason my "guy" will not return a text or a call so I've found myself on my own. My tractor has always started up immediately but back in the spring it began taking a long time to start. 3 weeks ago the starter became stuck in a continuos whine while trying to start it - even when I turned it off. I began to smell "electrical burn" so I disconnected the battery wire to solenoid to get it to stop. I figured I burnt up the starter so I ordered a new starter & solenoid & battery cables. I replaced the starter, solenoid & battery cables and when I went to start it I get nothing - not a sound. I should have said that I bought a brand new battery too. I am not a mechanic at all. The things I've done myself have been from reading articles here and watching YouTube videos. I assume my alternator may need replacing as well as the starter button. Where do I go from here? I fear I'm just buying new parts without knowing what the issue really is. Any help would be appreciated more than I can say.

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 8n Perplexed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

" I fear I'm just buying new parts without knowing what the issue really is."

Yep.

And feel fortunate that you only invested in a few parts that you probably didn't need.

Time for some troubleshooting. Folks here will be glad to help.

Do you own a multimeter?
75 Tips

MississippiMade
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 8n Perplexed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

FWIW, the tractor has a side mount distributor that was recently "tuned up". New spark plugs, points, rotor, condenser and cap.

MississippiMade
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 8n Perplexed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I do not.

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 8n Perplexed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Buy one. Walmart has them as well.

When you get one, re-post with this info and you will get plenty of help.

https://www.harborfreight.com/7-function-digital-multimeter-63759.html?cid=paid_google*PLA+-+All+ProductsAll+Products63759&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&mkwid=sKE0GgBvZpcrid327822404853pkwpmtpdvcslidproduct63759&pgrid=71439424048&ptaid=aud-454408222021:pla-296227499965&pcid=1688396772&intent=&gclid=CjwKCAjwzdLrBRBiEiwAEHrAYpUiSSoBD7vhsEsbvz1mA0Sa_UN3GTuxMSAkeV2Y9rZv9non573jaxoC6UMQAvD_BwE
75 Tips

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 8n Perplexed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

MississippiMade wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:01:05 09/08/19) I do not.
With your symptoms and someone "just replaced the solenoid", the most common problem is the wrong solenoid was installed. Use jumper cables or even pliers to short from one large solenoid terminal to the other and if starter functions fine, then get the proper solenoid. Otherwise, post back with results. BE SURE TRANSMISSION IS IN NEUTRAL.

MississippiMade
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 8n Perplexed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ford Starter Solenoid, 12 Volt. Part# 8n11450-12V from Yesterday's Tractor Co.

deanostoybox
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 8n Perplexed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Further to what JMOR said:
Don't know where you got your parts, or where the previous owners of my 51 8N got theirs, But the starter solenoid on mine is backwards. The small terminal that connects to the starter switch is on the outside (away from block) rather than inside (toward block).

You never know.

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 8n Perplexed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

MississippiMade wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:46:42 09/08/19) I am not a mechanic at all.

Then my advice is to find and hire one. There is no shame in that and in the end you will be happier and probably save money.

TOH

Tim PloughNman Daley
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 8n Perplexed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When was your last tune-up? Stuck starter could be due to wrong one or a short causing an open circuit, again bad wiring. You then made several errors in buying some new parts based on assumptions, not facts. Your local starter/alternator shop could have bench tested the starter motor in 5 minutes and if bad, then have rebuilt, especially if an original unit. ALL Fords were engineered so major components could be rebuilt over and over and since most Cheena made stuff is junk nowadays should have been your first choice. Your shop guy can also test the solenoid and alternator as well. Forget watching U-TOOB for your information. Everyone has an opinion and how their way of what they perceive should be done. There are a few exceptions. ?Wrenching With Rachel? is one with an accurate and no BS fluff way of explaining things. If ya wanna be an N owner, I suggest you invest in the essential manuals and start reading. You don?t have to be a NASA engineer to work on these things. Who knows it just might be a little fun too.

FORD 8N TRACTOR ESSENTIAL OWNER/OPERATOR/PARTS/SERVICE MANUALS:

Tim *PloughNman* Daley(MI)

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 8n Perplexed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OK, so what were results of test that I suggested????? Question

MississippiMade
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject: UPDATE Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I finally found a guy to come deal with it. He checked all connections with voltage tester. Determined there was a short with the key switch. I got a new key switch and he installed it. Still wouldn't start. Wouldn't even turn over. The battery dropped to 6v when we hit the start button and he said that's not enough to start it. He triple checked the wiring with my Shop Manual and is kinda stumped - said it is wired exactly as it should be. He wants me to return the battery and get another one. The battery was brand new 6 weeks ago when I got it but I suppose it could be a bad one. I charged the battery yesterday evening and it tests 12v but drops to 6 when the start button is pushed. Any ideas on what could be causing the drop?

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: UPDATE Reply to specific post Reply with quote

MississippiMade wrote:
(quoted from post at 21:24:34 09/24/19) I finally found a guy to come deal with it. He checked all connections with voltage tester. Determined there was a short with the key switch. I got a new key switch and he installed it. Still wouldn't start. Wouldn't even turn over. The battery dropped to 6v when we hit the start button and he said that's not enough to start it. He triple checked the wiring with my Shop Manual and is kinda stumped - said it is wired exactly as it should be. He wants me to return the battery and get another one. The battery was brand new 6 weeks ago when I got it but I suppose it could be a bad one. I charged the battery yesterday evening and it tests 12v but drops to 6 when the start button is pushed. Any ideas on what could be causing the drop?
Are you measuring DIRECTLY on the battery posts or on the cable connectors or some other place?

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: UPDATE Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Assuming the battery is fully charged and good

Google

battery voltage drop when starting

voltage drop testing a starter circuit

I have seen my fair share of bad new battery cables a voltage drop test with confirm good/bad... Its not a guessing game voltage drop testing is a confirmed kill : )

https://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/viewtopic.php?t=1273206&highlight=cable

https://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/viewtopic.php?t=1326363&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=drop&start=15

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters