Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Perkins AD3 152 diesel inframe rebiult

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jackangel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:53 pm    Post subject: Perkins AD3 152 diesel inframe rebiult Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

So time has come do go for my Landini (identical to MF 154 )Perkins AD3 152 in frame overhaul / rebuilt as I was writing here.

Here some pictures of main steps:

1. After placing some steel stand (homemade) and wood block I lift the front axle with an hydraulic jack and lifted tractor.

2. Removed hood, ballasting, battery, wirings and everything going to the front axle (radiator hoses etc)

3. Tear down the engine head , I have all setscrews except two stud which got undone when unscrewing their bolts. Here some pictures. It looks quite good to me, the same does the gasket.

4. Oil sump tear down. On the gasket between sump and block there is a lot of black sealant which got stuck and pulled down front and back rubber /silicon gaskets sealing the sump. They are made of rubber and not cork.

5. Here is the cyl sleeve #1 which was the one down on compression (280psi). Big marks and groove on the sleeve.

6. Piston #1 has broken ring and damaged ring housings (matching the marks on the liner), hence lack of compression and the blow by. Piston #2 has the top ring broken also

7. I got from a mill shop a homemade sleeve puller pad and a threaded bar with a U shaped steel profiles acting as a counter plate, put a ball bearings on in and start pulling with 24mm hex long fork wrench and a steel pipe.

8. Once the sleeve came out half of their stroke I went for the hammer and chisel option to wreck them, as the crankshaft is still on I will be carefully cleaning it and blowing it to avoid any small parts of sleeve get stuck in between the pistons rods journals and the crankshaft elbows..

9. Pistons rod bearings at the crankshafts reports the part number 31131291 with the Perkins logo that should be the stander sized bearings. They all look good, no marks no pits on them

10. Cyl #3 sleeve is still stuck there, also the threaded rods and the U shaped steel piece I used a s puller got bent. I tried to gently chisel the lip and accidentally made a small mark on the block surface here is it ; I hope it is not a big issue as the head gasket should be able to properly seal.

So here my questions / doubts:

1. Would the mark on the block surface described above affect the sealing of the head and therefore the reliability of the whole rebuilt engine?

2. Would I replace head setscrews? How can I visually inspect the head. At this stage I am not planning head rebuild.

3. Could I hammer and chisel directly the #3 sleeve directly install of pulling in out? It is really stuck into it, the force I apply to pull it out does bend the puller and stretch the threaded tie rods..

I do really thank you for your attention and precious help.

Dieseltech
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Perkins AD3 152 diesel inframe rebiult Reply to specific post Reply with quote

DO NOT chisel the sleeve out! What I do is use an arc welder and make four vertical passes with a thin rod, low heat. After that cools the sleeve will shrink enough to pull it out. Other option is use a heavy puller meant for pulling sleeves, all thread rod is not strong enough. Lay the old head gasket on the block, if the sealing ring area overlaps the sleeve top edge a bit like I think it does the block will be fine as is.

Jackangel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Perkins AD3 152 diesel inframe rebiult Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Dieseltech.

Nice tip about the old gasket, I know the welding method but it would be hard for me as the block is standing and do not have enough space, then I am afraid I could damage the crankshaft and block bores in case welding melt the sleeves

But if you look at my pics you see I put a rubber sheet under them to prevent mark on the block.

I made the puller in the pictured and worked fine for #1 and #2 sleeve but the #3 is really stuck (even if piston #3 is the only one in good condition LOL).

So are the marks I accidentally made, and yellow circled ion the pictures, harmful for the engine?

Dieseltech
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Perkins AD3 152 diesel inframe rebiult Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't think the block mark will be any trouble..

Jackangel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Perkins AD3 152 diesel inframe rebiult Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi,

I had to rebuild a bigger U shaped steel counterplate ( almost " wall thickness) and use a " threaded rod with a 30" long wrench and finally it sleeve out.

The reason of sticking so steadily is the parent bore shows kind of oxidation around the area toward the back of the tractor.. look at this picture

Then I tried to put the old head gasket on and yes it does overlap the sleeve flange as it can be seen also looking at the footprint marks on the gasket around the cylinders.

Then I also wanted to show you the wearing on the camshaft in the area of ligitin paum actuation. As long as it works I would live with this..

So:

- I would sand paper both parent bores and block surface with a 220 or 320 grit after accurate cleaning with some degrading foam / spray.. is it ok or should I go for different grits?

- Would I change head setscrews?

Dieseltech
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: Perkins AD3 152 diesel inframe rebiult Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would NOT sand anything! Just clean well and leave as is. I also chill cleaned sleeves in the freezer overnight, then use a HEAVY flat steel plate and hammer to tap the sleeves in place. DO NOT use a block of wood, I've seen guys break sleeve tops when wood is used.

Jackangel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: Perkins AD3 152 diesel inframe rebiult Reply to specific post Reply with quote

HI,

So you would not neither sand papering the parent bores which shows a little oxidation? What may have caused those oxidation marks on the parent bores on cyl #3,

Quite odd as the cyl#3 was the only one with almost 400psi compression and good piston rings

What about camshaft wear?

I will fo course place new sleeves in freezing chamber beforea placing them in.. nice tip also to sue flat metal and not wood

thank you!

derwen1959
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Perkins AD3 152 diesel inframe rebiult Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What happens sometimes with that model engine is the liners drop causing problems also carbon finding its way
Between liner and block .... also I would

derwen1959
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Perkins AD3 152 diesel inframe rebiult Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Also I would completely dismantle engine just in case there is hidden problems
I had to stop as the dog was barking

Jackangel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Perkins AD3 152 diesel inframe rebiult Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Derwen, you mean you would sand paper the parent bore only or also the scratches on the block surface?

Jackangel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Perkins AD3 152 diesel inframe rebiult Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jackangel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Perkins AD3 152 diesel inframe rebiult Reply to specific post Reply with quote

LOL we posted at same time so I could not read your reply...

Unfortunately I cannot dismantle the Whole engine... as you may have read in my other topic

I went for this inframe work as I expereiced a BIG blow by... so I thin I found the cause being in broken cyl #1 top ring...

What other kind of damages should I expect?.. I checked warm oil pressure before this rebiuld and It was just fine... hence the choice to not revise journals bearings...

Jackangel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Perkins AD3 152 diesel inframe rebiult Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Dieseltech wrote:
(quoted from post at 05:10:25 09/10/19) I would NOT sand anything! Just clean well and leave as is. I also chill cleaned sleeves in the freezer overnight, then use a HEAVY flat steel plate and hammer to tap the sleeves in place. DO NOT use a block of wood, I've seen guys break sleeve tops when wood is used.

... forgot to say I gently sandpapered with a 400 grit a litlle bit the spot where the mark I circled int picture to get rid of small burrs close to sleeve flange housing (if you look at that area between cyl #2 and #3 parent bores it is brighter.. I hope it is not an issue...

John Deere D
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Perkins AD3 152 diesel inframe rebiult Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would NOT sand a thing!

Most of my back ground is the maintenance,operation and test cell time on Aero Gas Turbines.

I never sanded a thing. Used only a 3-M product to clean and never remove any parent material....

General Electric LM 1600

Bob...... Owner operator MF FE 35 X Perkins Diesel...

Jackangel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Perkins AD3 152 diesel inframe rebiult Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for all your replies. So i hope my gently hand paper sanding in the spot shown in the picutre wont create any damage... Crying or Very sad

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Massey Harris & Massey Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters