Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Perkins AD3 152 diesel inframe rebiult

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ptfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Perkins AD3 152 diesel inframe rebiult Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The amount they remove when you have a block or head resurfaced isn't very much to worry about. On the head gasket I like to use Permatex Copper Spray-A-Gasket, other mechanics recommendations may vary on what to use or not.

Jackangel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: Perkins AD3 152 diesel inframe rebiult Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi,

I did a little bit of research on the web and I I found a lot of topic arguing about the use of any compound / sealants on head gasket.

I do think my new PERKINS genuine head gasket is copper (it seems multylayers though ) and jointing compounds are not to be used on MLS gaskets.

Anyhow my workshop manual states:

Therefore being my engine AD 3 152 (CE21899 lot ) produced in UK in 1978, which procedure should I comply with?

I did also find a topic here in yt I am replying to, the manual seems different to mine..

ptfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Perkins AD3 152 diesel inframe rebiult Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My brother replaced the head gasket with another copper gasket on his MF150 (it has the AD3.152) this was before the spray on Permatex copper gasket sealer was ever available. Back then he used the old aluminum spray paint trick, all these years later it's still holding.

Jackangel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Perkins AD3 152 diesel inframe rebiult Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I see! My gaskets is copper outside layers and it seems to be made by foils...

Jackangel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Perkins AD3 152 diesel inframe rebiult Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi again,
I was just re-assembling the oil sump by using a hydr jack and thread small bar for guiding and find a couple of threaded holes in the fly wheel plate where no setscrews/nuts were in

Were these holes drilled form manufacturing purposes perhaps?

Then I got another question for first start up after this in-frame rebuild: as I removed all the oil pipes they are now empty, should I first crank the engine with shut off fuel line to let the oil pump fill them in? Should I use a special oil for first start?

thansk

ptfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Perkins AD3 152 diesel inframe rebiult Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would crank the engine over without the injectors in the head (so there is no real load on anything) until I see good oil pressure. Then I would put the injectors in, bleed it, then run it.

Jackangel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Perkins AD3 152 diesel inframe rebiult Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thanks pt for the suggestion, I'll do so.

Got the sump on, it was not that easy but did it. New front/rear gasket are cork made (put aviation sealant on them) while the old ones were silicone type rubber made.. (non OEM???)

New ones

Old ones

Jackangel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: Perkins AD3 152 diesel inframe rebiult Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi, so I put everything together and now engine is up and running aging with no more blow by nor smoke.

At the end of the day I smeared the new head gasket with as thin film of Hylomar non setting compound mentioned in the manual.

Got a question now: my workshop manual states to torque the head bolts down again @ 95Nm when engine is hot (coolant > 170F). I have not done it yet as I had the engine running for a 60/70mins only should I do it and it is better run it for few hours first? I must say I ve re used the old nuts and setscrews

So I again thank your for reading my posts and helping me out in suggesting what to do now I ll move on front wheels spindle bushings overhaul!

ptfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Perkins AD3 152 diesel inframe rebiult Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I retorque the head once it get to operating temperature for the first time, I wouldn't run it for a few hours before retorquing. Using the old nut's, and screws should be ok unless the manual says otherwises.

Jackangel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Perkins AD3 152 diesel inframe rebiult Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thanks pt... I will do this when temp gauge has reached the green area in the gauge dashboard then.. manual say to do it when hot.. I am afraid this could hurt the threads...

ptfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Perkins AD3 152 diesel inframe rebiult Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jackangel wrote:
(quoted from post at 00:01:45 10/02/19)
thanks pt... I will do this when temp gauge has reached the green area in the gauge dashboard then.. manual say to do it when hot.. I am afraid this could hurt the threads...

It won't hurt the threads.

Jackangel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Perkins AD3 152 diesel inframe rebiult Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you.

So I did run it for 30mins to get 80C coolant temp and re-torqued the head down when hot..

I was surprised since some of the set screws needed almost a half a turn to be re-tightened to 95Nm.

No, manual does not specify new set screws should be used anytime you take the head off but it states indeed in my case head should be re-torqued after 25/50hs being my AD3 152 not one among the last ones with head fasteners with integral washer.

Is it common they needed to go half a turn in only after a 30mins running?

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Massey Harris & Massey Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters