Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Injection pump timing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skip Burney
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Injection pump timing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am putting my 35 back togther and for the life of me I cannot find the word "Spill 18" on my flywheel anywhere. I can set the engine up on TDC and get the "E" on the injection pump right but that just means everything is at TDC. How can I get the correct advance on the injection pump. I think its 16 degrees BTDC. When I set it up last time I just set it up at TDC and cranked it up and it ran fine is there anything wrong with doing that again. It ran fine and pulled great but I was just going to try to get it dead on this time. Is there a mark on the flywheel I can set it up by?

Dieseltech
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Injection pump timing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Long as all the gears are in right, just line up the pump flange and timing cover mark and it will be good. The snap ring inside may or MAY NOT be set correctly anyway..

Skip Burney
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Injection pump timing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Dieseltech wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:47:15 09/23/19) Long as all the gears are in right, just line up the pump flange and timing cover mark and it will be good. The snap ring inside may or MAY NOT be set correctly anyway..

You mean the 2 scribe lines on the pump flange. The gears are all set correctly but I have to have the pump rotated correctly or the pump wont be timed to the engine correctly

Dieseltech
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: Injection pump timing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I repeat, use the pump FLANGE ear scribe line, and align it to the TIMING GEAR CASE scribe line. If engine does not run well then rotate pump housing either way as needed. Don't worry about the snap ring/letter inside, most late spec sheets no longer use it anyway.

Skip Burney
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Injection pump timing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I REPEAT what times the pump rotor to the engine the gears can be in alignment with all the timing marks matched up and the dowel pin in the gear and the pump be 180 degrees out of time to the engine. The scribe lines in the pump flange and gear housing are for fine tuning not to set the correct injection phase

Dieseltech
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Injection pump timing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CAV DPA pumps CAN'T be 180 out IF the gears are in correctly. The drive plate inside the pump that bolts to the hydraulic head has a master one way spline to the drive shaft inside end, and the two drive bolts that thread into the rotor are offset. Pump can't be assembled 180 out like Stanadyne/Roosa pumps can. All late DPA spec sheets dropped the internal letter/snap ring location, and Ford DPA pumps never did use it. Only mistake that could happen is to bolt the gear to hub 1/3 turn off ether way by missing the gear pin into the hub groove. Saw that happen before, hub face just pushes the gear pin forward. I took the three bolts out, turned the hub where needed and tapped the pin back into the groove. Replaced the bolts and got the fellow going again without having to remove the pump. Engine was a 4.236 Perkins, not sure how he missed the pin into hub groove, but he did.

Skip Burney
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Injection pump timing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The dowel pin was loose in the gear and instead of being in the slot it was a bolt hole off. The dowel pin simply pushed out of the face of the gear through the hole in the lock plate. It looked perfectly normal and all of the gears were lined up correctly but when I removed the gear to check the injection pump timing the dowel pin fell out of the gear onto the shop floor. So I set the injection pump up like the book said, meshed the pump gear onto the idler in the correct position leaving the pin out and then took a phillips screwdriver to go through the dowel pin hole and slightly rotate the pump just a fraction to line everything up and pushed the pin into the gear and into the slot. Then instead of using the hole in the lockplate over the dowel pin I moved the lockplate one bolt hole so that the pin could not come out of the front of the gear. Now I am waiting on gaskets to close everything up and bleed everything.

jim ball
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Injection pump timing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

dieseltech gave good advice. may i point you to 2 vids by bundy bear on mf 135 they shoW FITTING THE TIMING GEARS & TIMING AND REMOVING THE
INJECTION PUMP. they may help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18FW7E_uKQU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFWGjrB_Gko&t=473s

Jackangel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Injection pump timing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

bundy bear is simply a great guy!

Skip Burney
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Injection pump timing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

its already back togther and mowing my runway

Skip Burney
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Injection pump timing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That he is I always enjoy his videos, someone had rebuilt my engine before and my gears had all sorts of punch marks on them so before I took the engine down I marked my gears with paint marks. The dowel pin in my injection gear was loose and not pressed into the gear so when you thought the pin was in the slot on the pump it was actually one bolt hole off and the dowel pin was just protruding from the face of the gear instead of being in the correct timing slot

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Massey Harris & Massey Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters