Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

2640 hydraulic issues

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoJoSmith
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject: 2640 hydraulic issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 2640 that is giving me trouble. I have read many of the posts on the subject. One from June of 2016 by cowman79 best resembles my problem. I have a 240 loader mounted on my 2640.
it slowly creeps down, loader arms and bucket roll. The 3 point arms and control lever rise up on there own. The steering valve does leak and gets hot, O-rings are on order. Thanks to Tx Jim, and tim s for there advice on that. I have cleaned the screen and changed the Hyd filter, no smoking gun there. Now I'm going to show my ignorance. when looking in the Hyd filler hole I don't see anything special, no spraying ect., Should I?
In that 2016 post there was talk about the SCV, is that the control valve for the 3 point arms? Tx Jim posted that it was possible that the internal seal on the closed center plug had failed, where would I find that,? on the loader control? OK now you can laugh Embarassed

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 2640 hydraulic issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Welcome to YT
Closed center plug if present will be located in frt end loader control valve. No oil moving while looking in hyd filler hole behind seat is wonderful. Frt end bucket creeps down is more than likely caused by leaking internally loader control valve. 3 pt control lever has friction washers that is suppose to hold lever in set position until moved by operators hand.

Tim S will be along in a short amount of time to give you his shop location & contact info for cheap repairs. Laughing Razz Very Happy

Jim He-HE

RoJoSmith
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 2640 hydraulic issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Tx Jim. In the thread I referenced, someone mentioned a trouble shooting method for the loader control. Something like disconnecting the return line for the loader. If I understand correctly nothing should come out of the return line? Unless the loader control lever is moved? Is there an easy way to Identify pressure and return lines? Both lines come from under rear end. One from the bottom of the filter housing. Would the combination of the leaking steering valve and a bad loader control valve cause over heating?

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 2640 hydraulic issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The good news is that the loader joystick valve is returned in the oil to a ported transmission filter cover .
As stated previously, there should be no oil flow in the return line back to the filter when no loader movement is selected .
If the joystick is open Center or if there is an O ring failure in the closed Center plug. Hydraulic function will be totally botched .

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: 2640 hydraulic issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As b&d stated remove quick coupler from hose that attaches to ported filter cover. Aim open hose in hyd filler hole or bucket,with FEL control valve levers in neutral operate engine briefly & if any oil comes out of hose something in FEL valve is leaking which causes tractor hyd's to not operate as designed.

RoJoSmith
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: 2640 hydraulic issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Guys! If I find that the loader control valve is bad, can both types (open center, closed center) be repaired? I think I read tim s can do this repair.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: 2640 hydraulic issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If loader control valve has a blown closed center plug seal or leaking relief valve those 2 things can probably be repaired. If spool to valve body is leaking then valve can't be repaired because that's a machined fit with very small tolerance.

RoJoSmith
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: 2640 hydraulic issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tx Jim wrote:
(quoted from post at 03:03:02 07/03/19)
As b&d stated remove quick coupler from hose that attaches to ported filter cover. Aim open hose in hyd filler hole or bucket,with FEL control valve levers in neutral operate engine briefly & if any oil comes out of hose something in FEL valve is leaking which causes tractor hyd's to not operate as designed.

Followed your instructions today and was a flow of oil. I not a very good judge but I would say about a gallon a minute. Have I found my smoking gun?
Here are some photos of the loader control. Can anyone tell me if it is an open or closed center? do I need to do more trouble shooting to further isolate the problem?

[/img]

RoJoSmith
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: 2640 hydraulic issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

BTW Happy Independence day!
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy I hope no one is offended by my support for this great nation. And my American pride Mad

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: 2640 hydraulic issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY to all members!

I did not see an open center valve or plug offered in 240 parts catalog. When you chocked for & located a 1 GPM leak was hyd oil at about 200 or hotter? Poppet valve(key 4) might be seating properly.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: 2640 hydraulic issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Or spools/housing are worn allowing leakage.

RoJoSmith
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 2640 hydraulic issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Oil was not hot. Just disconnected quick couple removed pioneer fitting and stuck hose in fill port cranked up the tractor and ran for about a minute.

RoJoSmith
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 2640 hydraulic issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tx Jim wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:48:50 07/04/19)
HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY to all members!

I did not see an open center valve or plug offered in 240 parts catalog. When you chocked for & located a 1 GPM leak was hyd oil at about 200 or hotter? Poppet valve(key 4) might be seating properly.

Should I get the oil hot before the leak test? In your "Poppet valve(key 4) might be seating properly". did you mean Not seating properly?

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: 2640 hydraulic issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Higher temp oil will tend to leak more than colder oil. Yes I meant "not seating properly" but I'll bet the leak is between valve housing & spools.

RoJoSmith
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: 2640 hydraulic issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Tim S wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:59:35 06/07/16) Yes that would be one way, if yours has the short hose going to the rockshaft loosen the valve and pull it away,,stick a piece of heater hose on it and point it towards the fill hole, there should be little to no oil returning when in nuetrul or float..

I'm confused on component terminology. Is the SCV the rockshaft control or something else?

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters