Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

NH271 baler missing knots of and on

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:51 pm    Post subject: NH271 baler missing knots of and on Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So I baled around 100 bales today. It was hit and miss on the left hand knotter. Twine is not being cut off the bill hook like it should be. I think I need to sharpen the knife up a bit more. Odd thing is it was doing just fine and would miss one out of say 10 bales then all at once it got to where it was missing most. Oh well such is life with old machines

John G. Williams
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: NH271 baler missing knots of and on Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have found that my MF12 baler knotters are addicted to grease. Are you giving them enough?

Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: NH271 baler missing knots of and on Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nothing to do with being old, new ones not adjusted correctly will miss just as many,, my 1950's Case balers set correctly will miss less than 1%, just made 420 bales and she missed none and was making 40-45 lb solid straw bales, few today or even back in the day know how to properly set one,, we sold Case then NH balers when Case dropped them in 1970,, but I have fixed about every color one that there is,, all can be made to tie correctly, these days to get me to come and work on one means you are a Very close friend or long time neighbor,, lol

Phil Tibbetts
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: NH271 baler missing knots of and on Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thought I was the only one still running an old case baler. Got a 200 that my father and I bought used in the late 60's. bought up all the old ones i could find that were junked to have for parts. it seldom misses a bale since I switched to the plastic twine. The sisal you get now is junk anyway. The biggest problem I have is shearing pins. The bushing in the flywheel is rough around the inner end and
i think that is the reason. Can usually get 100 to 200 bales before it shears so no big deal. 5 minutes to put a new one in.
i wonder if new bushings are available.

RJKeith
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: NH271 baler missing knots of and on Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use a Case 230, just a little newer than your 200. Also, last year mine started acting up when it went from the old bale of twine to a new one. Fought it for a while and came to the conclusion it was the twine. Got some higher tinsel strength twine but weeds are in the hay so bad this year I let a neighbor roll it for his cows, so I haven't tested it with the new twine.

Phil Tibbetts
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: NH271 baler missing knots of and on Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have you tried the plastic twine? I was missing a lot of bales tying and switched to the plastic and almost never misses a bale now.

MJMJ
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: NH271 baler missing knots of and on Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My old MF did the same thing when I bought it. Might do 30 perfect, then miss one and make a huge knot. Always the same side. Went through the manual and checked every spec as I rolled it by hand. Eventually found my issue, the needle eye one one side was worn and through the dimension way off. Made a quick adjustment to get it in spec and it works perfect.
Your issue could be different, just pointing out that it's usually quickest to go through the manual step by step vs the shotgun approach of checking random things. I did that for two summers before just getting the manual out, only took about an hour or two.

Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: NH271 baler missing knots of and on Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a number of Case balers, 130/135/140W/200/220/and a 330 wire tie

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: NH271 baler missing knots of and on Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure it is a dull twine knife since the knot stays on the bill hook. It is cut but not all the way cut so it hangs up on the bill hook

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: NH271 baler missing knots of and on Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-old wrote:
(quoted from post at 22:51:38 09/11/19) So I baled around 100 bales today. It was hit and miss on the left hand knotter. Twine is not being cut off the bill hook like it should be. I think I need to sharpen the knife up a bit more. Odd thing is it was doing just fine and would miss one out of say 10 bales then all at once it got to where it was missing most. Oh well such is life with old machines

"Odd thing is it was doing just fine and would miss one out of say 10 bales then all at once it got to where it was missing most. "

Unless you can fond something obviously wrong, the first thing I'd do is try another ball of twin.

If that doesn't help, you are not out anything but a few minutes of your time, as you can always use the partial ball later.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: NH271 baler missing knots of and on Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This twine is the same as has been in it for years now. It has sat for 2 or 3 years not being used till this year again. Last time I did use it, it did well but sitting tends to cause problems and since the knot is not being cut all the way off I figure it is a dull twine knife

Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: NH271 baler missing knots of and on Reply to specific post Reply with quote

May be the knife being dull, the twine bent the wiper and knife arm.---------- Loren

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: NH271 baler missing knots of and on Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wiper arm is like it should be and nice and tight on the bill hook.. I checked that yesterday when I was trying to sharpen the twine knife. Have it so it cuts most of the knot but not all of it so need to do a bit more sharpening of the knife

Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: NH271 baler missing knots of and on Reply to specific post Reply with quote

pull the kotter frame bolt on the chamber on that knotter rotate it up, makes the dressing of the knife easy, then make sure it is wiping across the billhook Tight if not a smack or two with a hammer will fix that,, if that is all thats wrong you will be baling with out misses,, takes me less than 5 min to do both items
cnt

ArleninOr
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: NH271 baler missing knots of and on Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Some people would buy new twine instead of using 3 year old rotten twine. Cheap insurance. Twine usually will get rotten spots in it sitting outside or inside if it gets any moisture in the air.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters