Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Truck hardware question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JDEM
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:55 am    Post subject: Truck hardware question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 2008 Ford truck I bought recently. Something has me a little perplexed.

I found both links on the rear stabilizer bar broken. They were OEM from Ford. Ford used a 10 MM bolt, grade 8.8. Pretty much the same tensile strength as a US grade 5.

Since both the originals broke right in two I am thinking it might be good to use something stronger? I have no history on this truck but it certainly does not look like it was ever used hard or off-road.

So I ordered what appeared to be a HD option in the aftermarket - from Delco Professional. I opened the box and these come with US bolts that are 3/8" and grade 5. So if anything, a bit weaker then what Ford used OEM.

Am I missing something here in the engineering? I am tempted to just go out and buy some 3/8" bolts that are grade 8 unless I discover there is a reason not to?

I checked 5 different brands of rear link kits and none have bolts any stronger then what Ford used OEM.

Russ from MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Truck hardware question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Where will the next weakest link be? Sounds like something is wrong or just some bad engineering. Maybe the Delco parts are the solution!

M-MAN
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Truck hardware question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have never seen one broke. My guess is someone hit some big holes hard and they snapped just like a tractor spindle.

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Truck hardware question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wonder if it got improperly tied down on a transport or roll off?

Sprint 6
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Truck hardware question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The links are likely designed to break before something else more expensive does. Like the sway bar, or the control arm attaching point. I would go back with what was there. 11 years likely had the bolts rust weakened.

ss55
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Truck hardware question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've had links to front stabilized bars break on vehicles I bought used. The stabilizer bars were not damaged. The links were inexpensive, easy to replace and OEM replacements never broke again. If the price is reasonable, I would stay with EOM parts to avoid breaking something more expensive.

DR. EVIL
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Truck hardware question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Had an '87 F-150 with frt & rear sway bars, links on one end of each bat broke due to excessive rust. '88 Mustang GT had frt & rear sway bars too, broke one link on each bar. Once one link breaks, all the stress is relieved from the other link.

Don't think I would put the Delco parts on, use the OEM replacements.

fastfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Truck hardware question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Steve,i have heard story's about that also! The first time was when the 58 Chevy were tied down wrong, well any way they changed there method, of how they got tied down after that fiasco !

BigPapa53
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Truck hardware question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ford sway bar links are well known for breaking, especially if you do any kind of off-roading on uneven terrain like terraces, ditches, and creek banks. Anything that flexes the suspension. Off-roaders looking for better articulation get links that can be disconnected by pulling a pin for full travel.

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Truck hardware question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Delco Professional is just another cheap china supplier...

fusion
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Truck hardware question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Put the OEM bolts in and forget about

Ford Dealer Bob

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters