Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Cat D4 questions from a newbie

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bpost58
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject: Cat D4 questions from a newbie Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Greetings, I am looking at acquiring a Cat D4 serial number 7u28733 SP. My question is are parts available for it, new or used? It has a D4N winch on it and runs fine, with it being converted to electric start. I would deeply appreciate any words of wisdom on this old (1950's) dozer. The more I can learn the better decision I can make on buying it.

hector gemme
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: Cat D4 questions from a newbie Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The D4 parts are available from CATERPILLAR dayler and am still have some used one

Jo Bird
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: Cat D4 questions from a newbie Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes parts are available , new and used . Can point you to some supplier's I used in repairing mine .. BTW you do realize they are money pits on par with BOAT owners or Brake Out Another Thousand.. Stopped keeping track of what it cost me to repair mine when the parts exceeded 2 times the cost of buying the machine . LOL

dpendzic
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Cat D4 questions from a newbie Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thats a 1954 model year--parts can be found at Caterpillar and aftermarket new--and used parts from many dismantlers---check the undercarriage very carefully as that is the most expensive to repair

bpost58
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Cat D4 questions from a newbie Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That is my fear, the track plates are worn badly and the cost of replacing them could really add up. The drive sprockets look okay to me but I know VERY little about spotting track issues. I know it runs very well but the track issues could add up to big bucks real fast for what is essentially an antique.

dpendzic
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Cat D4 questions from a newbie Reply to specific post Reply with quote

is it the track plates or the grousers on them? grouser plates can be welded on. their are measurements that need to be taken to determine wear.rail height,pin and bushing wear,idler and roller diameters, and the sprocket teeth measurements.

Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Cat D4 questions from a newbie Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I also have a 7UD4, a '53 model. I suggest going to this site and looking in the forum- http://www.acmoc.org/bb/

Moonlite37
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Cat D4 questions from a newbie Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did you consider turning the track pins? Of do they turn pins on s machine that small?

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Crawlers, Dozers, Loaders and Backhoes All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters