Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

John Deere 450c Track adjuster rebuild

View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve terplak
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:08 pm    Post subject: John Deere 450c Track adjuster rebuild Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have a 450c, tightened tracks with grease , used it today and noticed tracks had a ton of slack in about 20 min.
Piles of grease on the adjuster shaft/cylinder.
I assume seal is blown.
So steps would be to remove track, remove yoke and adjuster, rebuild and reverse.
So here is my question:

How do u split the tracks on a JD C series dozer?
Any special tools needed?
Is there an alternative way to accomplish my mission?

JDEM
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere 450c Track adjuster rebuild Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had to fix many a blown track-adjuster out in the woods. I never had to split a track to to it.
Why do you think you have to on your's?

If the bolts aren't too stuck, you just unbolt the adjuster barrel from the yoke that holds the front idler.
Hopefully your shock-spring center bolt is not broken. If so, that you DO have a problem. 350s broke them often. More rare on a 450.

Make sure you have the correct seal when fixing the adjuster also. I am pretty sure all the C series had the "new" semi-clear hard neoprene seal. Unlike the 450B that was just soft black rubber.

JDEM
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere 450c Track adjuster rebuild Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I take back what I said. I just got looking at a new 450C adjuster and it is quite different then a 350C.

JDEM
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere 450c Track adjuster rebuild Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I got thinking more about this. I know, for sure, I got the adjuster out of my 450B without splitting the track. I unbolted the adjuster barrel from the idler-yoke. This with the adjuster piston pushed all the way into the adjuster barrel. Then lifted the adjuster assembly out from the back side where it sits on the shock-spring. As I said earlier - this only works if that spring and stop-bolt are still intact. If that stop-bolt has broken, then that spring will be "sprung" and it makes the job miserable. But note - I memory might be a little off. I only recall having shock-spring issues on the 350C. 350C has a long HD spring with a bolt that runs up inside of it an limits how far it can extend. It is a self-contained unit and that spring and bolt lift out as one piece. It might be set up a little on a 450C and maybe not an issue. The track-adjuster sits on a shock-spring, one way or another.

pinball
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere 450c Track adjuster rebuild Reply to specific post Reply with quote

put a coma long on your tracks to keep the front idler all the way out. take great zert out of your adjuster and push your adjuster back all the way. I think you can remove the adjuster then and rebuild your ram but make sure you put a pressure relief grease zert back in if you don't you might blow the seal out.

2x4
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere 450c Track adjuster rebuild Reply to specific post Reply with quote

did you recently take the bleeder screw out & forget or miss putting the BB back in?

steve terplak
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere 450c Track adjuster rebuild Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I did not.
What leads me to believe it is the seals is the handfuls of grease which appeared where the piston enters the tube.

steve terplak
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere 450c Track adjuster rebuild Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok. So based on what I have been reading from you guys and other sources:
1. Use come along or other means (I was wondering if I could use the blade to pull?) to extend ram all the way.
2. Unbolt 4 bolts holding yoke.
3. Retract ram to shortest length while holding idler out.
At this point work the assembly free rearward

pinball
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere 450c Track adjuster rebuild Reply to specific post Reply with quote

sounds like a plan to me but make sure to check your spring assembly. if its froze up or broken you probably will blow the seal out as the adjuster is only meant to adjust the tracks not take the force put against it, the spring does that. a very hard jolt to the front idler could possibly blow a seal other wise if you have bleeder zerts you should not ever blow a seal. I agree if you have a lot of excess grease then you probably have a bad seal. good luck

steve terplak
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere 450c Track adjuster rebuild Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the confirmation....
Now I just need some time...don?t know where to find that. Lately it is NLA-obsolete.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Crawlers, Dozers, Loaders and Backhoes All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters