Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Bear with me, long one. 1066 right rear axle question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
IHMANKY
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject: Bear with me, long one. 1066 right rear axle question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Inner axle bearing went kaboom, got the trumpet back together with
zero issue, was amazed how easy I got that back on the dowel pins.
Forgot to install the bull pinion first... so I made me two longer dowel
pins and slid the trumpet/axle out enough to get the inner pinion
bearing past the bull gear and then pulled it all back together. Went to
put the brake assembly back on, and it lacks a good quarter inch
maybe even a touch more mating up. Won?t go any further. I can see
just a touch of shine on the axle where I guess the seal rode before,
so thinking maybe the axle gave a little when I was seating the inner
axle bearing and I didn?t get it on as far as it should be. Bearing was
tight against the spacer and spacer tight against the bull gear, but the
bull gear would have slid toward the inside of the exile a little if the
axle slid and gave me a false indication. Even if that?s the case, not
sure why that would affect the pinion holding out the brake housing...
those bearings are on all the way to the shoulders, and the inner
seats against the race perfectly by hand when you push the pinion in.
Only thing I can think of is that the backside of the outer pinion
bearing race is contacting the bull gear and holding it out from
seating.. but it doesn?t do that when I push it in...I?m at a loss. Same
shims in place as when it came apart.. and not even close to seating.

BarnyardEngineering
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Bear with me, long one. 1066 right rear axle question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Stupid question, are you sure that the outer brake disk didn't just slip off the pinion shaft? Any time I'm putting brakes back together I have a heck of a time with that. Brake drum is just 1/4" short of going back on.

IHMANKY
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Bear with me, long one. 1066 right rear axle question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well.. I'm 98% sure that didn't happen, although I wish it was that simple! I can't get the brake piston assembly all the way seated even tapping all the way around it, BEFORE I try to even mount the drum housing with the disks in it over the outside of the piston housing.

Timmyih
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Bear with me, long one. 1066 right rear axle question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

there is different bearings that can go in there and you have to go bye serial number and check the numbers on the bearing apart you look at your bearings and make sure you have the right bearing numbers and this is on the Axel bearing especially the inner one

IHMANKY
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Bear with me, long one. 1066 right rear axle question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I?ll be danged, you were right. Took a whole lot of fiddling with a
screwdriver up behind the drum and shifting the primary and
secondary disks around bit finally got it to pop into place, snugged
right in there after that! Thanks for the tip!

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters