Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

961 ford

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pinball
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject: 961 ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

okay so I pulled the plug out of the top of the steering box in front of the radiator. was some oil so I added some. after a few seconds I discovered I was putting atf oil in , next two days most has leaked out. I had bought some 90-140 oil to put in there that I aimed to use. my question is what do you all use. I though about just filling it with grease. apparently there's is a seal or something that is leaking. I absolutely know nothing about the steering. never have worked on any. thanks for reading.

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 961 ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If 85W140 will not stay in, I would recommend CNH Pourable High EP Lube.

Dean

MarkB_MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: 961 ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You might have overfilled it. Did you check the level using the hydraulic reservoir dipstick?

If ATF drains out, gear oil probably will as well. I use 85W-90 gear oil in mine, which is what is recommended.

I want to re-emphasize the importance of draining out any water in the pedestal. Do that before re-filling.

Larry NCKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: 961 ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

80W-90 is best. However, if you've got a small leak and are trying to live with it, 0 grade (cornhead) grease or Lucas hub oil may be a better option.

pinball
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: 961 ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I haven't been able to find the drain on it,

pinball
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: 961 ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

when I pulled the plug it looked like a dip stick. prpbably 4/5 inches long with a band about an inch from the bottom. is this what your talking about.

pinball
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: 961 ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

since I have no clue on how to take it apart I just want to make sure it has some lubrication and a small leak I can live with.

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: 961 ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Anything bolted to the front bolster?

If so, remove and have another look for the drain plug.

Dean

John P.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 961 ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Which is what I discovered in mine.

pinball
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 961 ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

where do you find it and how much do I need. thanks

MarkB_MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 961 ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

> when I pulled the plug it looked like a dip stick. prpbably 4/5 inches long with a band about an inch from the bottom. is this what your talking about.

I don't think my plug is like that. If you pull the hydraulic reservoir dipstick, located below the seat on the left side of the tractor, you should see it is marked on both sides, one side for the hydraulics and the other for the pedestal. There are two marks and you line the top mark up with the top of the filler hole and read the oil level against the lower mark. On my dipstick these two marks are 2-7/8" apart.

MarkB_MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 961 ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is a 1/4" pipe plug in the front of the casting. And it will probably require heat to break it free.

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: 961 ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's a CNH product. You will need to go to a CNH dealer and may need to order it. My dealer stocks it but not all do.

How much is required will depend upon whether you drain the water out or not.

Dean

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters