Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

I can' get this thing apart

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tripper225
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:40 am    Post subject: I can' get this thing apart Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The inner seals on both sides of this 850 were leaking on the brakes. The left side came apart with no issues, went back together like a dream. The right side is not cooperating. The bearing retainer will not come off the axle. I have been using the air hammer to loosen it up but, it won't move. I even hammered the bolts with the nuts installed.

When I get the tractor rolling again I have thought I will put a come-a-long on a tree and try pulling while I hammer The retainer.

Any hints on how I can get this apart?

Your help is greatly appreciated,
Jim

Bern
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: I can' get this thing apart Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I like your come-a-long and tree idea. What I'd do is leave two nuts on, threaded on only a few threads each. That way, when it pops loose, the whole assembly wont go flying.

After you attach the come-a-long, put as much tension as you dare on it, and then smack the axle housing hard with a good sized sledge. Your air hammer likely doesn't have enough shock value to it.

If it still doesn't come after doing that, find an acetylene torch with a rosebud and heat that area up. Then, it's beat and heat until it comes loose.

Dieseltech
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: I can' get this thing apart Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You might also remove the left axle again, then use a LONG bar through the axle housing and diff assembly to strike directly on the right axle end.

Bern
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: I can' get this thing apart Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'd suggest not doing that, since the end of the axle shaft is a machined thrust surface. The two ends of the axle shaft butt against each other in operation.

Dieseltech
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: I can' get this thing apart Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The bar I use is softer than the shaft, so no damage is done. Another way would be to use the left axle in place without the shims and strike the end. May only move .050 inch, but it would knock it loose. I've done that on some Ferguson models.

tripper225
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: I can' get this thing apart Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you all.

Great ideas, I'll use them all if I need to.

For now I cleaned up the brakes and put it back together. It's a slow leak so no great loss. I'll keep the new brake shoes for the seal changeover. I've got mowing to do. I'll update when I get it apart.

I will continue to check back for any other ideas so, please contribute if you have a technique not yet mentioned.

Jim

riveroadrat
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: I can' get this thing apart Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Run it with a couple of nuts on the top and bottom, maybe sides also, pulled close to snug, maybe a little loose, and blaster it good. Go mowing and keep an eye on it. You might want to take the other nuts and a wrench for if it loosens up. A torch and candle wax will seep in there also where blaster will just go up in smoke.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters