Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

need different fluid than 303 for 9n

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pinball
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: need different fluid than 303 for 9n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do you know the complaint was they didn't put on there labels it was to be used on tractors before 1975. I have used it on all my tractors. never had a problem. there new 303 oil does have the date on them. orchelns farm and home sells a lot of it.

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: need different fluid than 303 for 9n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-pinball wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:03:54 10/09/19) Do you know the complaint was they didn't put on there labels it was to be used on tractors before 1975. I have used it on all my tractors. never had a problem. there new 303 oil does have the date on them. orchelns farm and home sells a lot of it.

That is just one part of the legal complaint. They also made a lot of performance/blending claims that they knew (or should have known) to be untrue and/or misleading. In other words they knowingly lied about the quality of the product. For example:
  • "Provides extreme pressure and anti-wear protection for tractor transmission, axles and hydraulic pump" In actuality the treat rate on EP additives is about half of what industry standards call for.
  • "Protects against rust and corrosion" Detergent and rust inhibitor treat rates are similarly low
  • Controlled frictional characteristics permit the wet brakes to hold properly, reduces brake chatter and provides for smooth engagement of power take-off (PTO) clutches." A total fabrication. It is demonstrably unsuitable for use with most wet brakes or clutches and actual equipment damage has resulted fromits use.
VOA reveals the presence of line wash, waste oils, and contaminants. If quality base oils are used it is in minuscule proportions. The incredibly low VI shown on the data sheet alone tells you that. Industry standrard testing shows the product does not even come close to matching the physical/chemical properties (notice I did not say OEM specifications) of a good quality generic (notice I did not say premium) UTTF. Its a free country and you can certainly use whatever you want but please understand why the price of the 303 fluids is what it is. In the near term the 303 is not going to kill an N-series or any of the older machines but it is far short of the short term performance and long term wear protection you can get in those machines for another $10/pail. JMO but I think the hard facts back it up.

TOH

gears
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: need different fluid than 303 for 9n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dang it you guys, now I'm being guilt-ed into actually using the cheap 303 I bought 2 yrs ago as the "Flush oil" I had bought it for.... Put it in a new to me basket case 3400 and got everything working right. I had meant to drain it and replace with a better fluid (premium UTF), 34hrs on the machine now and haven't done it.

I noticed the 9N with fresh 90wt from TSC is doing well but in winter it is SLOOOOOOOOW to warm up enough to be usable. Maybe it'll get some premium UTTF too.

Thanks for condensing the facts for us TOH, I didn't even need to call you this time. :)

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: need different fluid than 303 for 9n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

gears wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:39:31 10/10/19) Dang it you guys, now I'm being guilt-ed into actually using the cheap 303 I bought 2 yrs ago as the "Flush oil" I had bought it for.... Put it in a new to me basket case 3400 and got everything working right. I had meant to drain it and replace with a better fluid (premium UTF), 34hrs on the machine now and haven't done it.

I noticed the 9N with fresh 90wt from TSC is doing well but in winter it is SLOOOOOOOOW to warm up enough to be usable. Maybe it'll get some premium UTTF too.

Thanks for condensing the facts for us TOH, I didn't even need to call you this time. :)

Gears, as long as you keep working that 9N hard for 4-5 hours at least once a month you should be able to keep your UTF from loading up with moisture and doing damage.

gears
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: need different fluid than 303 for 9n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yeah, the 9n only runs about 1/2hr at a time once a week or so. The 3400 is typically 20 minutes every few weeks.

I use them hauling firewood & dirt.

Last night the boys and I moved a batch of Cherry from the neigbor's fieldtreeline to our property to split later.

Kid Shileen
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: need different fluid than 303 for 9n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use 134d and don?t give it a second thought.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: need different fluid than 303 for 9n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

gears wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:46:27 10/10/19) Yeah, the 9n only runs about 1/2hr at a time once a week or so. The 3400 is typically 20 minutes every few weeks.

I use them hauling firewood & dirt.

Last night the boys and I moved a batch of Cherry from the neigbor's fieldtreeline to our property to split later.

Gears, does the hydraulic oil get heated up good during that half hour?

gears
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: need different fluid than 303 for 9n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I doubt it, just digging some dirt or dragging wagons of firewood around. Haven't checked its condition since I flushed it and rebuilt the pump 2 yrs ago (maybe 4....) I'm putting checking it on this fall's to-do list.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: need different fluid than 303 for 9n Reply to specific post Reply with quote

gears wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:29:37 10/10/19) I doubt it, just digging some dirt or dragging wagons of firewood around. Haven't checked its condition since I flushed it and rebuilt the pump 2 yrs ago (maybe 4....) I'm putting checking it on this fall's to-do list.

Gears, if you really feel the need to use UTF and you aren't using the tractor enough to get it hot enough to clear the moisture out you can always change it whenever it gets milky. Check it frequently and don't forget to flush before refilling.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters