Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Sherman combo troubles.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NBerg
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject: Sherman combo troubles. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So, I finally gave in and created my account to ask this question. I have a 1950 ford 8N that was rebuilt maybe 10 years ago and was in need of some TLC when I purchased it. A friend of mine rebuilt an early Sherman combo (no neutral detent) to install into my 8n, which was other wise, stock. We are currently on our 4th try of install the Sherman. When we get everything together, start the tractor and put the Sherman in any gear (up, down or standard, doesnt matter) and let off the clutch the tractor will whine and vibrate. The pitch changes tone with the gears, high for up, low for down and some where between the two for standard. My friend and I split the tractor again a few days ago and it looks like the output shaft gear of the Sherman is meshing very hard against the tractor's transmission gear. Could this be a symptom of too much preload? We believe we have the correct output shaft for the Sherman.

Kirk-NJ
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Sherman combo troubles. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did you yes shims to get the preload right?

NBerg
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Sherman combo troubles. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just now measured all the shims I used previously. They add up to .03. I just received some more shims and will start out with .05 like the shop manual says.

NBerg
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Sherman combo troubles. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

After comparing the output shaft of the Sherman to the stock shaft, the Sherman output gear is slightly smaller in diameter than the stock shaft. However, the inner tapered race of the output gear of the Sherman is wider in diameter than the stock's race. To me that makes it seem like I have been putting too many shims in, pulling it away from the bearing and into the larger tractor gear. I assume the bearing exists to keep the output gear the proper distance from the tractor's gear. With .55 thousands worth of shims and a 1/32 gasket, it still would whine. Also, with the Sherman in gear, turning it over slowly my hand, I could feel very tooth mesh with the tractor like the shaft had its own detents. All this seems like the output gear is pressed too hard against the tractors gesr. Could it be the Sherman is new and the tractor gear is old? The bearing is old and not holding up the sherman? The mounting plate is not machined properly?

NBerg
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Sherman combo troubles. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

.055 worth of shims*, sorry.

Kirk-NJ
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: Sherman combo troubles. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The bearing in the main trans should fit snugly into the race on the sherman output shaft. Is your bearing worn or has the race been machined causing slop in on the main shaft?
When sherman is installed you should be able to turn the input shaft with your thumb and two index fingers. Manual should give you pounds for preload. Gears in main trans
should mesh and there should be no up/down movement on main shaft in tranny. Although the sherman gets it's lube for a slinger in the main trans you still will need to put oil
in the sherman when installing.

NBerg
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: Sherman combo troubles. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

With no shaft in, the bearing cage has a lot of play, however it does not click or feel gritty when I press it to the rear of the tractor and rotate it.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters