Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Washing machine repairs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim in LA
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:11 pm    Post subject: Washing machine repairs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a Kenmore 70 series washer that my parents bought back in the early-mid 80s. I replaced the clutch and transmission in it earlier this weak. Stupid me,I forgot to connect the bottom hose to the pump when I put it back together(got distracted). You can imagine what happened. I was surprised to find that I can still get all the major parts for this thing, including the drum and the tub. I will have about $300 in it. YouTube as well as some of the appliance parts websites have videos on how to disassemble and repair. I intend to keep this washer going as long as possible. It is made by Whirlpool. These things are amazingly simple to work on.

Geo-TH,In
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: Washing machine repairs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

in 1977 I bought my house up north and purchased sellers whirlpool
washer and dryer. It's like a timex, it keeps going after a few minor
repairs.

A few years ago I purchased a new whirlpool washer and dryer for my
other place in the south. Washer lasted less than 2 years. Good thing I
purchased an extended warranty. A bearing went out of transmission. It
was too expensive to repair, so I got a full refune.

I hate the new machines with locking lids. They decide how much water
to add and take forever to do a load.

Don't buy another whirlpool washer. They are junk.
Whirlpool dryers haven't changed in 42 years.

Two Dogs
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: Washing machine repairs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, I have one similar and they actually wash your clothes. I've talked to friends who have new
washers and they are practically useless. I will doctor mine as long as I can. I just put a new
pump on mine for about eight dollars from Ebay versus thirty five or more from Sears. TDF

Texasmark1
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Washing machine repairs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"Don't buy another whirlpool washer. They are junk."

FAKE NEWS!

ztrmowers
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Washing machine repairs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

whats the locking lid, you talking front load units

Oliver 500 Wa
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Washing machine repairs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I love hearing about folks doing repairs rather than replacing.

Wife and I bought a used 1967 Maytag washer and dryer set in 79 when we got together. Pretty sure we paid only about $50 for them. Still running them today. A few repairs along the way sure but what well built machines compared to now.

Bob - MI
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Washing machine repairs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nothing is built to last anymore. We have always had Whirlpool products and had 25~30 years of service. Minor things need to be serviced once in a while but overall a great experience. Last set we bought was a Maytag (Whirlpool owned)and they have been going strong for more than 10 years now. Daughter got our old set of Whirlpools and she was very happy with them.

The Maytag set was the last of the top load agitator machines that doesn't have the auto fill level feature and we are glad we got them when we did.

Local appliance parts guy who is a very knowledgeable guy will tell you that you should never buy LG or Samsung no matter what. He says the local service guys have all refused to rep them anymore because of the constant failure rate and they end up getting blamed.

Tony in Bama
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Washing machine repairs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nope. I have a Samsung top loader with a locking lid. Avoid at all cost...

Dale in WV
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Washing machine repairs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

after a year fussin with this Samsung, makes me wish for the days of at least an old GE washer, where things were all mechanical .. this one's supposed to save water, with multi-cycles for
spin, etc. gives you happy chimes when it starts - and more chimes when it finishes. If it gets an error code, it resets, and starts spinning all over again. never know when the load
will finish. we spend more time trying workarounds to keep the water level at least over the clothes inside, dealing with the UR code, which usually means its an imbalanced load on the
spin... not that I want to spend money for a replacement, but I'll likely pass it to the scrap yard the first time something significant fails..

Geo-TH,In
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Washing machine repairs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"Fake News"

In less than 2 years my whirlpool sounded like a jet engine in the spin cycle.

Tub Seal and Bearing Kit

If the washer is making loud noise the tub seal and bearing kit might need to be replace. This is a very involved repair and will require disassembling most of the washer. If the bearing is bad the problem is going to get worse very quickly and so either the tub seal and bearing kit will need to be replaced or the washing machine.

The repair man is the one who said they are junk and too expensive to repair. I got a full refund. They don't make like they used too.
I've seen other whirlpools with same problem

circus
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Washing machine repairs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Glade to hear it. I bought a $100 Kenmore 70 about five years ago. Love it. It replaced a fancy Maytag with $$$ computer problems. Never again.
Tip of the day: If the 70 refuses to spin remove the lid switch, two screws, and bend the tab that pushes on the switch.

Texasmark1
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Washing machine repairs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Maybe I'm just "gifted".....get the ones that work! Since Whirlpool has been in business longer than I can remember and "quality survives the test of time" and since they make things under different LOGOs (besides Whirlpool) and all that, they must have something going!

OliverDarko
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Washing machine repairs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Why do you need this stuff ???

Inno
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Washing machine repairs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The names used to mean something, now there are only a handful of manufacturers producing machines under a dozen or more different names, most having nothing to do with the original company.
I'd take a 40 year old Maytag washer over most of the new ones you see in showrooms today.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters