Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Ford 800 (172 engine) Mechanical Advance Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brett24
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject: Ford 800 (172 engine) Mechanical Advance Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My advance is not working properly. The timing advances a little, as RPMs increase, but not very far.
The weights move freely.
I've attached some pictures of the weights.
In one picture I pushed the weights all the way out.
I then let the weights return as far as they would on their own (just the springs pushing them).
In the third picture I pushed them in against the shaft as far as they would go, which was quite a bit farther than the springs managed to accomplish.
Am I correct in assuming that the springs on my weights are not doing their job properly?
Brett

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 800 (172 engine) Mechanical Advance Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The cam and advance mechanism must rotate easily on the concentric distributor shaft.

You may be able to use penetrating oil to loosen the mechanism.

If not, you may need to remove and disassemble the distributor.

Caveat: Cannot see the advance mechanism weights properly. If springs are broken, replacement is necessary. Replacement parts are (or at least were) available from the aftermarket.

Dean

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 800 (172 engine) Mechanical Advance Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I see a very big potential for a lot more friction than there should be there. You may need to remove it to clean it out but you may be ble to get it cleaned up good with some carb cleaner and paper towels.

Brett24
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 800 (172 engine) Mechanical Advance Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The cam was free on the shaft. The cam and weights were moving quite freely.
I removed the retaining ring and was able to pull the cam-and-weight assembly off of the shaft. I'll attach a picture of the bottom of it, showing the springs.
I'll certainly clean it up while it is off.
Do the springs look the way they should? I have this feeling that the springs are worn/bent, and as a result, the weights do not return to correct position at lower RPMs.

WayneIA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 800 (172 engine) Mechanical Advance Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The weight advance I see you have posted only has one spring on each side! There should be two on each side. That weight advance assembly is not available after market and it costs two arms and a leg at NH. You can buy a complete distributor after market cheaper than the assembly at NH

Brett24
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 800 (172 engine) Mechanical Advance Question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 800-series tractor is an 850.
The serial number is 70***, so from what I could find, it was produced in 1955.
On the current distributor, there is a plate that has only a few markings (I'll attach a picture).
Based on this information, I found that it should take an FDN-12127-A distributor.
The sellers of these list a distributor (part #86588846) that replaces both the FDN-12127-A, and 311185.
Are these two distributors the same? I wondering because the parts manual lists the FDN-12127-A as being used in model-years 55-57, an 311185 in years 58-64.
Brett

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters