Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Ford 2600 steering issues

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wrestler22
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject: Ford 2600 steering issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello all,

Looking to get some help with the steering problems of my 1980 2600.

When I bought the tractor around a year ago, it had this steering issue and now I am looking to fix it. The steering wheel is very loose (lots of play) and it almost feels like the steering is delayed. When I turn the steering wheel and stop it, the tires keep moving for an additional 2-3 seconds. This obviously makes the tractor go all over.

I just replaced the link arm ball joint and it did nothing. Steering linkage is tight.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 2600 steering issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is this power steering?
If so, someone has likely been in there
and did not properly tighten - or stake
the upper nut according to the manual.
Part # 21 at the link below.
Click here

Bern
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 2600 steering issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is it manual steering? If so, see if the steering wheel moves up and down as you turn it. If it does, the upper bearing in the column is toast.

SkipperII
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 2600 steering issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is also possible the spring washer, part #20 in the diagram, is broken.

CTPhil
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 2600 steering issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-SkipperII wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:25:35 10/14/19) It is also possible the spring washer, part #20 in the diagram, is broken.

That would be my first thought too. Symptoms fit.

Wrestler22
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 2600 steering issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes it does have power steering. I am assuming the problem is in the steering box like you all have said. The tractor does turn easy even with heavy loads in the loader.

With that being said, how difficult is diving into the steering box? Sounds like a real headache

Wrestler22
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 2600 steering issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes it does have power steering. I am assuming the problem is in the steering box like you all have said. The tractor does turn easy even with heavy loads in the loader.
With that being said, how difficult is diving into the steering box? Sounds like a real headache

CTPhil
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 2600 steering issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The worst part of the job is getting the dash cowl off. Not hard, just time consuming. You don't have to take the column all the way down to get to that washer, just the top part off. If you see the washer is in pieces I'd go no further, just new seals in the part you took off, new washer, adjust the nut down and stake it and reassemble. if you're lucky the top of the steering shaft just under the steering wheel won't be rough from rust.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters