Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

correct operating temp for a 4000 gas 4cyl?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keith Williams
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: correct operating temp for a 4000 gas 4cyl? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ray,
Boiling the gas is known to happen in these.
I can remember it happening from the time we first got our 4000 in April of 64.
Plowing for winter wheat in August after we cut the oats was when I remember it the most back then.
I have it happen now when I rotary cut with a 6 foot Woods mower.
I have even seen the bubbles coming down the fuel line into the sediment bowl.
BTW, the motor never stops because of this.
Keith

bob kuczynski
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: correct operating temp for a 4000 gas 4cyl? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i wonder if putting an insulation board over the heat shield will help? you know the kind, it sorta looks like styrofoam with aluminium film over it.
hmmm?

RayJohnson
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: correct operating temp for a 4000 gas 4cyl? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Keith Williams wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:41:51 10/21/19) Ray,
Boiling the gas is known to happen in these.
I can remember it happening from the time we first got our 4000 in April of 64.
Plowing for winter wheat in August after we cut the oats was when I remember it the most back then.
I have it happen now when I rotary cut with a 6 foot Woods mower.
I have even seen the bubbles coming down the fuel line into the sediment bowl.
BTW, the motor never stops because of this.
Keith

Wow Keith, I would have never thought.

bob kuczynski
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: correct operating temp for a 4000 gas 4cyl? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

anyone else?

Keith Williams
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: correct operating temp for a 4000 gas 4cyl? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bob,
You could try enriching the fuel mixture.
Ethanol gas (E10) will make the engine run a little leaner.

Make sure you have COMPLETELY cleaned the radiator fins. I like to use compressed air for this.

I would not put a foam panel under the tank. The gas is boiling because it is hotter than ~170 degrees. The foam products (I believe) will melt and possibly burn at those temps.

HTH
Keith

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters