Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Ford 5000

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gerard 1702
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject: Ford 5000 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi all I have 1968 Ford 5000 that needs an engine. I have been offered an engine out of a 7000. Would this be a straight replacement would I need to change anything else as there s gonna be a jump in horsepower now running all through the tractor?

shaun wallace
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Direct bolt in. Tach will be driven off inj pump instead of gen if even works.

Bern
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A 7000 has a stronger tranny and larger cooling package. Keep that in mind if you make the swap and all of a
sudden start liking the extra power.

Gerard 1702
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok thanks guys. Would the extra power only be one an issue if the tractor was been worked hard on a very frequent basis ?

Sean in PA
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Gerard 1702 wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:48:01 10/24/19) Ok thanks guys. Would the extra power only be one an issue if the tractor was been worked hard on a very frequent basis ?

History of the transmission would be a factor, if it was already worn some from being run hard in the past, then running it hard with the more powerful engine may cause issues earlier than if it had an original hp engine. But even if it was never worked hard with the original engine, over working it with the 7000 engine could cause issues on its own.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would say Bern put it best.
It's similar to putting a 172 ci engine
from an 800 in place of the 134 in a
They're a direct swap and the 600 would
do a lot of useful work, for many years,
as long as you don't lay into it hard
all the time.
In the 800/600 case you'd blow the rear
end, not the transmission but kaput is
kaput after all.

Bern
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

With regards to the tranny, yes. With regards to the cooling system, it won't take long for the stock 5000
cooling system to overheat if the engine is run at full load. I'm talking minutes, not hours.

At a minimum I'd put a larger fan in it.

JK-NY
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As mentioned I would be concerned with cooling capacity. The
engine should pretty much be a bolt in fit. Not sure if you can
use the 7000 radiator in the 5000 too but I would be looking at
options to upgrade the cooling system. If you have a good
radiator shop they may be able to help you, although good
radiator shops are getting rarer than hens teeth.

Gerard 1702
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the useful info

Destroked 450
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The 7000 engine is a direct bolt on but as others have said it's best to upgrade to a 7000 radiator which will fit.
The issue I see is the air cleaner system, 5000 has a oil bath air cleaner and 7000 uses a dry element (paper) air filter, all of the piping is different in order to connect the air cleaner system to the 7000's turbocharger, even the front radiator shell is different to allow for the different air cleaner.
To use the 5000's oil bath air cleaner you'll have to fab the piping.

Gerard 1702
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Destroked 450 wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:37:15 10/24/19)
The 7000 engine is a direct bolt on but as others have said it's best to upgrade to a 7000 radiator which will fit.
The issue I see is the air cleaner system, 5000 has a oil bath air cleaner and 7000 uses a dry element (paper) air filter, all of the piping is different in order to connect the air cleaner system to the 7000's turbocharger, even the front radiator shell is different to allow for the different air cleaner.
To use the 5000's oil bath air cleaner you'll have to fab the piping.

Great piece of information very informative sounds difficult but not impossible?

SkipperII
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 5000 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This past spring, I located a 7000 air cleaner assembly, and a new grilles shell. Using exhaust elbows and tubing, I switched a buddies'
5000 over to a dry system, so it can be done, with a little adapting. He hated the oil bath, and had bugged me for three years.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters