Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Magneto to distributor swap Farmall H

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanH
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:02 pm    Post subject: Magneto to distributor swap Farmall H Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Want to change from a magneto to a distributor with a electronic ignition. What wiring will I need to change? Also where is a good place to send the distributor to be rebuilt I purchase it used off eBay and would like to have it gone over.
Any help and advice is greatly appreciated

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Magneto to distributor swap Farmall H Reply to specific post Reply with quote

not much to that. disassemble it check shaft for wear degrease and clean weights, as usually gummed up. check springs and advance for freeness. grease shaft and oil advance.

560Dennis
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Magneto to distributor swap Farmall H Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You got a voltage regulator or cutout on the generator

DanH
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Magneto to distributor swap Farmall H Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I believe it is a cut out

gene bender
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Magneto to distributor swap Farmall H Reply to specific post Reply with quote

so just why change the mags are almost fool proof and just last and last

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Magneto to distributor swap Farmall H Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Agree on that.

John M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Magneto to distributor swap Farmall H Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Different on/off switch. Youll also need the adapter to go from mag to distributor.

Ken Hansen
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Magneto to distributor swap Farmall H Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-gene bender wrote:
(quoted from post at 23:00:03 10/31/19) so just why change the mags are almost fool proof and just last and last

I would tend to agree unless there has been a major failure of the magneto. Not sure of the Farmall H but last year I was able to get all the parts to repair my BN's mag at NAPA.

Now if the impulse drive has disintegrated that might be a different story.

Ken Christopherson
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Magneto to distributor swap Farmall H Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I run magneto on all of my tractors. I do a lot of helping out with Rudy Calin at Rebuiltmags (one of the best around). I will tell you, unless you are running a puller or trying to squeeze every last ounce of power out of the engine... Running a distributor really gives you no benefit. A mag is much more simple, and when it comes to timing distributors are a little more 'hands on'.

I can rebuild H4's in my sleep, and they are some of the most simple, best built magnetos out there.

But, maybe I am biased. Smile If you need a rebuild or want to exhange a mag for a rebuilt... Give Rudy a call. I just did a number of them last week for him.

Ken Hansen
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Magneto to distributor swap Farmall H Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ken I know this is a Farmall forum but was wondering if along with the Farmall mags you work on other magnetos?

I have three or four old magnetos that I have no idea of what they are off of that I would be interested in selling if there is anyone interested.

I could send some pictures. I believe I have my settings where you can contact me off the forum by email.

DanH
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Magneto to distributor swap Farmall H Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We use the Tractor for plowday and some antique Tractor pulling. Thought it might give a little more horsepower. Do you think it?s better to stay with the magneto then.

teddy52food
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Magneto to distributor swap Farmall H Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can you send me some pictures? Mail is open. Thanks.

Ken Christopherson
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Magneto to distributor swap Farmall H Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would. I mean, you're not going to get much out of the swap. Maybe 2 or 3 hp? Someone correct me if I am wrong....? Where you really start making power is going to an overbore kit, stepped head pistons, LP head and manifold, M carburetor, electronic ignition... Things like that. I run my M with an overbore kit, stepped head pistons, gas head that has been shaved, and a late model manifold... I am probably cranking out right around 50 hp or so? Magneto ignition and it runs great. I only use mine for shows, yard work, and snowplowing. The H I a currently doing for suicide awareness and mental health is going to have the same setup. That's my preference, and my opinion... But these magnetos really are a great system.

560Dennis
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Magneto to distributor swap Farmall H Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree with you.
My repairs
Cap and rotor
New coil and points condenser in most of my repairs ,
Oh and new wire condenser to coil, insulation break down .
I have not use the copper plug wires , maybe I?ll try it. But I have use just generally plug wires .
Good luck
Oh idid buy a blue ribbon repair book , cause I have no experience, it was worth it. And fun

teddy52food
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Magneto to distributor swap Farmall H Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Still waiting for pictures. On classic.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters