Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Aftermarket "Fire Crater" Pistons & Ring Size

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RTR
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject: Aftermarket "Fire Crater" Pistons & Ring Size Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So my 1953 Farmall Super A has the domed aluminum Fire Crater Pistons in it. The rod bearings are dated 1968 but that really doesn't mean anything other than they aren't original. From my knowledge, if the pistons are actual an IH part, they would be marked as such on top or the skirt. These pistons only have the marking "FRT" with an arrow on top. They also have 4 numbers on the inside of the piston (the exact numbers escape me right now). There are no other markings anywhere that I can find. This tells me they are most likely aftermarket pistons and not IH ones. They are visually IDENTICAL to the IH Fire Crater design. I need to get a set of piston rings for them and need a little help identifying which ones I have. I can always measure the rings but I'd also like to know what I've got. The rod bearings are Clevite brand so I wonder if the pistons are too???

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Reply to specific post Reply with quote

when ordering rings , all you need is the bore of the engine and the ring width. makes no difference what brand of piston they are going on. rings should be the easiest thing to get. rings would be 1/8", 3/16" or 1/4" as an example. the oil rings are usually wider than compression rings. plus pay attention to the ring marks and bevels. that "FRT" on pistons means that arrow faces the front of block.

RTR
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-rustred wrote:
(quoted from post at 04:57:48 11/01/19) when ordering rings , all you need is the bore of the engine and the ring width. makes no difference what brand of piston they are going on. rings should be the easiest thing to get. rings would be 1/8", 3/16" or 1/4" as an example. the oil rings are usually wider than compression rings. plus pay attention to the ring marks and bevels. that "FRT" on pistons means that arrow faces the front of block.

Here is what I found.......

RTR
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Reply to specific post Reply with quote

And here are some pictures of the measurements and a picture of the number cast on the inside of the piston.

RTR
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-rustred wrote:
(quoted from post at 04:57:48 11/01/19) when ordering rings , all you need is the bore of the engine and the ring width. makes no difference what brand of piston they are going on.

I was told by a well known IH Parts Man that you must measure the piston grooves to get the rings because some aftermarket pistons had different sizes.

RTR
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Reply to specific post Reply with quote

RTR wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:11:29 11/05/19)
CVPost-rustred wrote:
(quoted from post at 04:57:48 11/01/19) when ordering rings , all you need is the bore of the engine and the ring width. makes no difference what brand of piston they are going on.

I was told by a well known IH Parts Man that you must measure the piston grooves to get the rings because some aftermarket pistons had different sizes.

From those measurements; Would y all agree that it is safe to say that the compression rings are 3/32" (2 of them) and the oil ring is 1/4" ?

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters