Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

AC D17 Diesel Injector Pump Issue

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
t-man123
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject: AC D17 Diesel Injector Pump Issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey all,

First I would like to say this is a pretty great forum, and thanks.

I'm having trouble starting a D17, a 1950's model I believe.

I cleaned out the fuel valve underneath the tank and am getting good fuel flow up to the injector pump. However when cranking I do not get any flow from the pump to the heads. I've opened the bolts on the outflow side of the pump, to check for flow, without any luck. I usually crank in 10-15 second intervals.

Do you guys have any suggestions as what other things to check for before chalking it up to a rebuild?

Attached are some pictures.

https://imgur.com/a/XGz4nLS

Thanks for any help!

t-man

Jim.ME
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: AC D17 Diesel Injector Pump Issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do you have the fuel shut off control knob pulled to the rear (run) position? Has the control rod come unhooked from the shut off lever on the pump? Have you tried loosening the injector lines at the injectors and leaving them loose while cranking?

Dieseltech
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: AC D17 Diesel Injector Pump Issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Most older AC tractors are bass akwards on the fuel stop control, out is run, in is fuel off. When did engine last run? If it's been more than six months there's a good chance internal valves and plungers are stuck inside. I've been repairing lots more pumps like that lately, either due to water/rust in fuel, OR the save the planet Bio diesel...

t-man123
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: AC D17 Diesel Injector Pump Issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I forgot to mention, I did have the throttle lever pulled back. It's been over two months since it was run last. Are there any other ways to get that pump primed before pulling it? Thanks for the reply!

t-man123
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: AC D17 Diesel Injector Pump Issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yeh I had the shut off pulled to the rear. The control rod is attached to the lever; I'm pretty sure of it, but Ill double check. Yeh I
loosened a couple of the lines at the heads. There seemed to be some residual diesel in one of the lines but she wouldn't smoke.

DrAllis
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: AC D17 Diesel Injector Pump Issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not sure exactly what's going on here, but your next best move is to throw a chain around the front axle and PULL START it. This will get the engine and injection pump spinning fast enough it should eventually start. If after a couple of miles it doesn't start, pull the pump. Have the D-17 in road gear and get the engine spinning above 1,000 RPM by your tachometer.

lowell66dart
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: AC D17 Diesel Injector Pump Issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Once when I had one that just would not prime I bought this little inline diesel pump on Amazon that I plumbed in and just connected to the battery with alligator clips. Got it running, took the pump back off and went on down the road.

t-man123
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: AC D17 Diesel Injector Pump Issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey DrAllis,

So I pulled the tractor about a half mile
in 4th gear. I wasn't able to get her
started yet but there was fuel up by the
cylinder heads. Does that mean the injector
pump indeed does work? Thanks again! Sorry
for the delayed reply by the way!

T

Dieseltech
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: AC D17 Diesel Injector Pump Issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do you get exhaust smoke with the injector lines tight? If you get smoke, then pump is opening injectors. No smoke means pump has problems.

t-man123
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: AC D17 Diesel Injector Pump Issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey DieselTech,

No smoke unfortunately. When I disconnected the fuel lines after the injector after pulling it in gear for a bit there was fuel, but when I cranked it, I still did not see any diesel being pumped. Is that pretty much bad news for the pump? Thanks!

T

Dieseltech
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: AC D17 Diesel Injector Pump Issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pump may have stuck parts inside, or worse, hydraulic head is seized and drive shaft broken if the timing plate inside the pump does not turn as engine turns also.

t-man123
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: AC D17 Diesel Injector Pump Issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys! Pump ended up being the problem. One more question do you guys know where I could get more of those washers for the banjo bolts?

t-man123
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: AC D17 Diesel Injector Pump Issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The pump number I have is 4514812. Would this be interchangeable with other AC pump models

Such as: 4514022, Roosa Master, DBGFC637-32AJ, for example? Thanks!

Dieseltech
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: AC D17 Diesel Injector Pump Issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The AC D17 used one of four pumps, DBGFC 637 12 AJ, 14AJ, 17AJ, or 32AJ being the latest pump. All should interchange, BUT if you're getting a used salvage yard pump it MAY have stuck parts inside too from setting. Maybe the pump you have can be repaired. I just repaired and returned an AC 180 pump that came in with stuck internal parts, but it's now working fine after a complete tear down and cleaning. I also have some banjo washers on hand too. The E-mail is mhf35diesel@yahoo.com if you want to get in contact.

lyndenjh
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: AC D17 Diesel Injector Pump Issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am having the same problem as you. D17 series 2 diesel. Not run for about 15 years. I was told that it was parked because of an injector or pump problem. I cleaned the tank and lines. Replaced the filters and cleaned inlet screen in the injector pump transfer pump. Transfer pump vanes look very good. Everything was clean inside the transfer pump. Put in new fuel and pressurized it until I got fuel to the pump. Cranked and cranked to no success. Pump wouldn't pee a drop with the lines cracked loose on the pump. I want to take the pump to a rebuilder and have it looked at. He told me that the engine should be at 16 degrees btdc and the timing marks lined up in the pump inspection window when removing the pump. Where are the marks to tell me that the engine is at 16 degrees btdc? Thanks in advance.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters