Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Purging old grease

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oliver_1600
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: Purging old grease Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have been going around the 1600 greasing all the zerks and replacing clogged ones. I got to wondering about the zerk on the clutch release bearing. It has a long tube that disappears into the bell housing. That tube is clear full of old hard grease. I dont see any way to remove it to clean it out. I dont want to risk over-greasing the bearing and having it spin out on the clutch disk.

Having hydrapower seems to mean there is no inspection cover for me to remove and look around in there.

I am using NLGI 2 Lithium EP lube. If that matters.

Any ideas?

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Purging old grease Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's a tough one. Too much pressure could split that old hose. The only way to get the hose out of there is to have the engine out.

I wonder if you could heat up a piece of wire,not too hot so it does any damage,but run it down inside the hose to soften that old grease? If you do,I'd take it off the side of the bell housing where it bolts on so I could get it as straight as possible while trying to shove it in there.

oliver_1600
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Purging old grease Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks. I will give that a shot.

jim ball
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Purging old grease Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i have good luck with "grease buster" type of hammer type. here is a link. shop for the deal or ebay used

jim ball
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Purging old grease Reply to specific post Reply with quote

try link again
grease buster

oliver_1600
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Purging old grease Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks. I replaced the zerk fitting but it is the 18" of hose that leads to the clutch bearing that is full of old hard grease. If I flush it out with solvent and this tool, all that grease and solvent ends up on the clutch disc. I cant get in there to clean it out without splitting the tractor.

The tool looks like a good plan for the rest though. Thanks!

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Oliver, Cletrac, Coop and Cockshutt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters