Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Bi-directional pistons??

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert (ID)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Bi-directional pistons?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes that's the right number for the rings! Parts Spring?? never heard of that one before..

I'll see if I can get pics of the pistons in the next few days.

Ive wondered about boring out the head bolt holes with the mill or magnetic drill. Id also have to bore out the rocker arm shaft and supports that could be tricky..

Kentucky, well I don't see us swapping blocks then..

Thanks again

Destroked 450
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Bi-directional pistons?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Robert (ID) wrote:
(quoted from post at 22:09:07 11/12/19)

Kentucky, well I don't see us swapping blocks then..

Darn it!
Guess I'm back to drilling on mine.
Good luck with yours.
If you in up going with a rebuild kit check out Ag Kits, they have reasonable prices with Reliance parts, good stuff.
Rebuilt a DT466 in a combine recently with Reliance parts, I was impressed with the quality.
This site also sales kits but I haven't used one yet.
Normally get my kits thru my local machine shop, they give me a good discount.

Tramway Guy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Bi-directional pistons?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The 6-71 (in fact ALL -71 series engines) were not opposed piston design. There were ports in the side of the block that were pressurized by the Blower; and there were exhaust valves in the head.

There were 2-cycle engines made like you mention, but they were usually very large engines like for Ships and perhaps locomotives; and also German Junkers aircraft Diesel engines of WW2.

Robert (ID)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Bi-directional pistons?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have used kits from here on a customers 8n.. My last rebuild for myself was a 2000 3cyl gasser, I used a reliance kit for it... ive had good lock with both.. Ag Kits is the retail side of reliance.. ive been on the phone with both sides and they have great customer service.

Thanks again... ill keep posting as I proceed

Destroked 450
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Bi-directional pistons?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not sure about today but locomotives used to run EMD "Electromotive Diesels" similar to ones used on river barges.
Large V configuration in 12, 16 and 20 cylinder, basically a really big 2 cycle Detroit Diesel with a 18" bore and 24" stroke.
I worked in the engine room a river barges when I was a younger man but I was to dumb to stay there and make a career out of it.
I'd be setting on a nice retirement check now if I had. :cry:

Sean in PA
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Bi-directional pistons?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes that's the right number for the rings! Parts Spring?? never heard of that one before.

https://www.partspring.com/

They are similar to Messicks in that they are an authorized New Holland dealer and can get anything that you could get at your local New Holland dealer, plus shipping of course.

MikeJM
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Bi-directional pistons?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Drilling the head shouldn t be a problem. A neighbor installed a 304 short block in a 7700 with the 256 head, couldn t find a 256/268 at the time. He drilled the head out himself with no issues. The rocker hold downs and shaft shouldn t be an issue with a mill or a good drill press.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters