Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

1963 Ford 2000 trouble starting

Goto page 1, 2  Next

 
Post new topic    
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Leever2000
Regular


Joined: 01 Apr 2015
Posts: 40


Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:54 am    Post subject: 1963 Ford 2000 trouble starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Started and ran weekend before but now having problems starting. Has spark! New plugs, wires a year old at most and battery charged. Turns over just will not start.
 
Back to top
View user's profile
showcrop
Tractor Guru


Joined: 13 Dec 2000
Posts: 27618
Location: Chester NH

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ford 2000 trouble starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote



When you look at the plugs after trying are they wet or dry?
 
Back to top
View user's profile
Leever2000
Regular


Joined: 01 Apr 2015
Posts: 40


Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ford 2000 trouble starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote


Wet,
 
Back to top
View user's profile
Larry NCKS
Tractor Guru


Joined: 23 Dec 2001
Posts: 6639


Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ford 2000 trouble starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Leever2000 wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:20:45 11/12/19)
Wet,


getting fuel then. Got moisture in your distributor by chance? That my not stop spark, but may make it go places it shouldn't at the wrong times.
 
Back to top
View user's profile
Larry NCKS
Tractor Guru


Joined: 23 Dec 2001
Posts: 6639


Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ford 2000 trouble starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Leever2000 wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:20:45 11/12/19)
Wet,


getting fuel then. Got moisture in your distributor by chance? That my not stop spark, but may make it go places it shouldn't at the wrong times.
 
Back to top
View user's profile
showcrop
Tractor Guru


Joined: 13 Dec 2000
Posts: 27618
Location: Chester NH

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ford 2000 trouble starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote



How well did it run last weekend? How long have you had it? Has the power been as expected when you worked it? What sort of work have you done with it? How many hours on the proof meter? Is the external appearance of and the number of hours on the proof meter consistent with the overall condition of the tractor?
 
Back to top
View user's profile
MarkB_MI
Tractor Guru


Joined: 29 Aug 2004
Posts: 13940


Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ford 2000 trouble starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In my experience, you can have "good" spark and still have trouble starting. Check the condition of your points. I finally gave up on replacement points and condensers due to the very poor quality of replacement parts. Over a year ago I installed a Pertronix conversion and haven't looked back.
 
Back to top
View user's profile
Leever2000
Regular


Joined: 01 Apr 2015
Posts: 40


Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ford 2000 trouble starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It ran well last weekend once got it started via pulling with truck and popping clutch. I've had the Ford for about 5 or 6 years and already have the Pertronix. The power been as expected when it is running? I use for plowing snow in the winter and during the other times it is used for gathering wood etc...? The external appearance and the number of hours on the proof meter are consistent with the overall condition of the tractor?
 
Back to top
View user's profile
showcrop
Tractor Guru


Joined: 13 Dec 2000
Posts: 27618
Location: Chester NH

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ford 2000 trouble starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="Leever2000"](quoted from post at 06:01:45 11/13/19) It ran well last weekend once got it started via pulling with truck and popping clutch. I've had the Ford for about 5 or 6 years and already have the Pertronix. The power been as expected when it is running? I use for plowing snow in the winter and during the other times it is used for gathering wood etc...? The external appearance and the number of hours on the proof meter are consistent with the overall condition of the tractor?[/quote


How many hours does your proofmeter read and does it appear to be the original?
 
Back to top
View user's profile
Leever2000
Regular


Joined: 01 Apr 2015
Posts: 40


Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ford 2000 trouble starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="showcrop"](quoted from post at 10:55:37 11/13/19)
Leever2000 wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:01:45 11/13/19) It ran well last weekend once got it started via pulling with truck and popping clutch. I've had the Ford for about 5 or 6 years and already have the Pertronix. The power been as expected when it is running? I use for plowing snow in the winter and during the other times it is used for gathering wood etc...? The external appearance and the number of hours on the proof meter are consistent with the overall condition of the tractor?[/quote


How many hours does your proofmeter read and does it appear to be the original?


Approx 2970 hours will verify when get home and that sounds about right for a 55 yr old tractor. Average 50+ hours a year.
 
Back to top
View user's profile
showcrop
Tractor Guru


Joined: 13 Dec 2000
Posts: 27618
Location: Chester NH

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ford 2000 trouble starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="Leever2000"](quoted from post at 12:11:43 11/13/19)
showcrop wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:55:37 11/13/19)
Leever2000 wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:01:45 11/13/19) It ran well last weekend once got it started via pulling with truck and popping clutch. I've had the Ford for about 5 or 6 years and already have the Pertronix. The power been as expected when it is running? I use for plowing snow in the winter and during the other times it is used for gathering wood etc...? The external appearance and the number of hours on the proof meter are consistent with the overall condition of the tractor?[/quote


How many hours does your proofmeter read and does it appear to be the original?


Approx 2970 hours will verify when get home and that sounds about right for a 55 yr old tractor. Average 50+ hours a year.


That is the second or third hour meter.
 
Back to top
View user's profile
Leever2000
Regular


Joined: 01 Apr 2015
Posts: 40


Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ford 2000 trouble starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="showcrop"](quoted from post at 19:06:24 11/13/19)
Leever2000 wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:11:43 11/13/19)
showcrop wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:55:37 11/13/19)
Leever2000 wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:01:45 11/13/19) It ran well last weekend once got it started via pulling with truck and popping clutch. I've had the Ford for about 5 or 6 years and already have the Pertronix. The power been as expected when it is running? I use for plowing snow in the winter and during the other times it is used for gathering wood etc...? The external appearance and the number of hours on the proof meter are consistent with the overall condition of the tractor?[/quote


How many hours does your proofmeter read and does it appear to be the original?


Approx 2970 hours will verify when get home and that sounds about right for a 55 yr old tractor. Average 50+ hours a year.


That is the second or third hour meter.


2623 hours
 
Back to top
View user's profile
Leever2000
Regular


Joined: 01 Apr 2015
Posts: 40


Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ford 2000 trouble starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

After some thinking maybe it has been longer than last year that I did a tune-up. I went ahead and ordered plug wires, ditributor cap, rotor and 4 more plugs and then I will know that those items will not be the cause. Once I get them and install I will report the status and hopfully it will be good news.
 
Back to top
View user's profile
MarkB_MI
Tractor Guru


Joined: 29 Aug 2004
Posts: 13940


Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ford 2000 trouble starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OK, when you said "new plugs" I assumed you meant you had replaced them AFTER the starting problem cropped up.

Here's something to try before your parts come in: Take out your spark plugs and burn off any carbon using a torch or a burner on your gas range. If you do this using an acetylene torch, use a slightly oxidizing flame and be very careful not to melt the electrodes. I'll bet your tractor will fire up with the cleaned plugs. Try starting initially with no choke and open throttle, as there's probably already plenty of fuel in the cylinders.

When you replace your plug wires, be sure to use resistance wires to protect your Pertronix unit.
 
Back to top
View user's profile
Leever2000
Regular


Joined: 01 Apr 2015
Posts: 40


Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1963 Ford 2000 trouble starting Reply to specific post Reply with quote


Yes I did replace the plugs but the plugs appear to be fouled already
 
Back to top
View user's profile
:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters