Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

'88 chevy 1 ton

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregww
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject: '88 chevy 1 ton Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't know if this is considered one of YESTERDAYS trucks or not, but it certainly isn't a new truck. I am the second owner. I has 76XXX miles on it. Last year (2018) I had the radiator, and head gaskets replaced on this truck. I also had the throttle body injectors replaced. ( If thats what you call them) The truck starts and runs great. Here is my problem. This just started this winter. When I get the truck to operating temp, 180 - 190, and run the heater, it will blow warm for about 1 minute, then it turns cold. If I shut off the heater for 5 minutes or so and turn it on again, it will blow warm again for a minute or so, and then turn cold. In the summer when the AC is on, it blows cold, it works very well. After replacing the head gaskets I no longer mysteriously lost coolant. It was obvious by the looks of the oil that coolant was getting into the crankcase. Anyone got an educated guess? Can a heater core be partially plugged? Would that cause it? I don't want to take it to the shop and have them start throwing parts at it in an effort to fix it. I have found in the past, that can get expensive real quick. Thanks for any help. Greg

8NChris
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: '88 chevy 1 ton Reply to specific post Reply with quote

gregww wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:16:57 12/17/19) I don't know if this is considered one of YESTERDAYS trucks or not, but it certainly isn't a new truck. I am the second owner. I has 76XXX miles on it. Last year (2018) I had the radiator, and head gaskets replaced on this truck. I also had the throttle body injectors replaced. ( If thats what you call them) The truck starts and runs great. Here is my problem. This just started this winter. When I get the truck to operating temp, 180 - 190, and run the heater, it will blow warm for about 1 minute, then it turns cold. If I shut off the heater for 5 minutes or so and turn it on again, it will blow warm again for a minute or so, and then turn cold. In the summer when the AC is on, it blows cold, it works very well. After replacing the head gaskets I no longer mysteriously lost coolant. It was obvious by the looks of the oil that coolant was getting into the crankcase. Anyone got an educated guess? Can a heater core be partially plugged? Would that cause it? I don't want to take it to the shop and have them start throwing parts at it in an effort to fix it. I have found in the past, that can get expensive real quick. Thanks for any help. Greg
Looks like your heater core is plugged up. Coolant moves too slow allowing the blower motor to cool it off. To back flush it pull the heater hoses and run a water hose into the hose you pulled off the water pump. Your hose on the back of the intake should come off easy enough. It either has a new quick disconnect or a regular pipe nipple on it. Not that uncommon for those engines to run over 300000 miles.

gregww
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: '88 chevy 1 ton Reply to specific post Reply with quote

After doing some checking I agree with you. I believe the core is plugged. I would rather replace it rather than try to flush it out. I have searched you-tube endlessly and I can't find a video on replacing the core. I did find one video that showed replacing the core and the AC evaporator. That video showed removing the entire dash! I have replaced cores before and I find it hard to believe you have to remove the entire dash!! I am going to pull the truck in to the garage tomorrow and do a little more investigating. According to the articles I can find on line it can cost anywhere from $500 to $1200 JUST to replace the heater core. That seem ridiculous to me, but maybe thats what I will have to do. Thanks for you help.

8NChris
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: '88 chevy 1 ton Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The newer trucks heater cores are about a 7 hour job. I didn't remember the old square bodies being that involved. Is yours the older square with the next model fashioned grille?

gregww
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: '88 chevy 1 ton Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mine is a square body. As for the grille, I really don't know. The temp outside was near 50 today so I decided I would look at it. After watch you tube videos, I decided to try and flush it out. I got a LOT of crap out of it. The heat is a lot better than it was. Probably not going to run anyone out of the truck, but much better. This summer I will probably do a complete system flush.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Yesterday's Trucks All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters