Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Attn Royse

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nashranch
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:48 pm    Post subject: Attn Royse Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm rebuilding MS carb . It's really in bad shape. Broken float mount bracket and really rusted out inside. Like i said I'm trying to rebuild. Need to identify which TSX Carb this idea. There are a few numbers on it. What would you do with it? This carb was with a basket case John Deere L A tractor i bought a while back. Thanks for your help Royse

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Attn Royse Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'll look through my books and see if I can ID the model from
the numbers, but I don't know off the top of my head.
With the elbow on one side and the plug on the other, it looks
like it could be a universal TSXU model. At least the top half.

It looks to have been frozen and the floats collapsed.
The floats are junk. Replace them.

I can't see from the pictures what you mean about broken float mounts.
The castings can be cleaned and media blasted.

nashranch
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Attn Royse Reply to specific post Reply with quote

nashranch
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Attn Royse Reply to specific post Reply with quote

nashranch wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:33:00 12/29/19)

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Attn Royse Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can drill out the rivets and rivet another set on.
They can also be drilled, tapped and screwed on.
Just be careful not to drill all the way through.
I use a drill press and depth gauge.

nashranch
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Attn Royse Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can i purchase that bracket somewhere?

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Attn Royse Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Honestly, I've never looked. I just took them off old carb tops
that had other issues like broken ears.

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Attn Royse Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If some outside of the little group info is welcome here, it looks like TSX60, TSX85, and TSX90 carbs were used in production, with a replacement carb number of TSX237.

Here's one man's comments, (found on the 'net), for what they're worth... "The hand start models had the TSX60 with hand choke. The electric starts had the TSX85. These were both for versions with lights I believe. (Choke levers are different.) The TSX90 I have seen on hand starts with and without lights. I am not to sure on exactly which options that TSX90 went with."

If you GOOGLE "TSX float bracket" several sources will come up, starting at about $20.

a32vickyhotrod
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Attn Royse Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can also soak the carb in a ratio of 1 to 3 (Molasses to water) to eat the rust away. The only problem is it takes days to do the job. This method works great for certain things like this, if you don't have access to blasters.

jimtrs
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Attn Royse Reply to specific post Reply with quote

nashranch wrote:
(quoted from post at 21:48:29 12/29/19) I'm rebuilding MS carb . It's really in bad shape. Broken float mount bracket and really rusted out inside.

As Royse said you can bring back the castings with some media blasting. I use Baking Soda for blasting carburetors, that way no hard grit gets stuck where you don't want it. After blasting with Baking Soda, just rinse in hot water to dissolve any left over Soda.

Just need a common siphon blasting gun / tube, and a bag of Baking Soda. I think the last bag I bought was 12 lbs for about $7.00. Got it in the swimming pool ailse of Walmart.

You'd be a mazed how good a job it does.

nashranch
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Attn Royse Reply to specific post Reply with quote

jimtrs wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:06:45 12/30/19)
nashranch wrote:
(quoted from post at 21:48:29 12/29/19) I'm rebuilding MS carb . It's really in bad shape. Broken float mount bracket and really rusted out inside.

As Royse said you can bring back the castings with some media blasting. I use Baking Soda for blasting carburetors, that way no hard grit gets stuck where you don't want it. After blasting with Baking Soda, just rinse in hot water to dissolve any left over Soda.

Just need a common siphon blasting gun / tube, and a bag of Baking Soda. I think the last bag I bought was 12 lbs for about $7.00. Got it in the swimming pool ailse of Walmart.

You'd be a mazed how good a job it does.

I use glass beads in my media blaster... it works good on cast iron ... even brass[url]

[/url]

Tim PloughNman Daley
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Attn Royse Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not Royse, Tim here, but those numbers mean nothing - only M/S casting and mfg numbers. Might want to ask the JD crowd this -which models were used. The broken float ear
can be repaired by a good shop but may not be cheap. I can try -email open. Option #2 is to find another carb and use it. I have seen worse internal carbs but media
blasting, tumbling, and much cleaning fixed them right up. White vinegar is a good solvent to dissolve rust and crud but is a time consuming procedure; the longer it sets
the better it works. It won't do anything in a few days or even weeks. Best to blast in my opinion and then clean well. If it is an OEM M/S TSX unit, there should be a
brass ID Mfg Tag on the lower base. The tag has a date code stamp as well as the Model Number. Here's a M/S TSX-241 for a Ford N ID tag:

Tim Daley(MI)

Gaspump
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Attn Royse Reply to specific post Reply with quote

According to M/S data the John Deere model LA originally used at least 3 different TSX carbs. The TSX-60, TSX-85, and the TSX-90. All three are listed as only being used on John Deere's.

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Attn Royse Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Royse wrote:
(quoted from post at 21:45:14 12/29/19) You can drill out the rivets and rivet another set on.

"You can drill out the rivets and rivet another set on."

Those "rivets" are actually "drive screws" and are harder than *#%%, you will be soon angry if you try to drill them!

They will unscrew with a ViseGrip if you can get 'em loose without breaking then, or catch the edge of 'em with a little chisel and coax 'em loose first. (Turn same direction as a convention screw to loosen.)

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Attn Royse Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bob wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:51:17 12/31/19)
Royse wrote:
(quoted from post at 21:45:14 12/29/19) You can drill out the rivets and rivet another set on.

"You can drill out the rivets and rivet another set on."

Those "rivets" are actually "drive screws" and are harder than *#%%, you will be soon angry if you try to drill them!

They will unscrew with a ViseGrip if you can get 'em loose without breaking then, or catch the edge of 'em with a little chisel and coax 'em loose first. (Turn same direction as a convention screw to loosen.)

Yes, they are actually drive screws, and they're certainly not soft.
They've never made me angry though. Did you have a bad experience with them?

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters