Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

H, Keeps cutting out

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WiJay
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:44 am    Post subject: H, Keeps cutting out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a IH (H) my plow tractor, Was running fine then just quit.
Came back an hour later started right up, ran for 20 minutes then just died. I checked the spark from the Magneto and it was very weak. I replaced the points and rotor still weak?
Any suggestions?

khouse6
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: H, Keeps cutting out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

sounds like a weak coil

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: H, Keeps cutting out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Coil is likely to be going bad and yes a mag has a coil

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: H, Keeps cutting out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Feel the coil immediately after it quits. It will most likely be very hot.As it gets hot it develops an 'open' in the winding. after it cools the open closes and it will run till it gets hot again.A newcoil will cure your problem.

teddy52food
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: H, Keeps cutting out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Condenser can do that too.

Dennis P
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: H, Keeps cutting out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Probably coil, gas cap may not be venting properly.
Next time it dies, remove gas cap and see if that
helps.

WiJay
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: H, Keeps cutting out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just picked up a new condense, (New to Magnetos) how do I replace it, do I need to take the magneto off? Is there any where I can get instructions?
Thanks

WiJay
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: H, Keeps cutting out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is the Magneto Coil the same as Magneto Winding ? Sorry guys New to Magnetos..
The Magneto is a H4

Magneto Winding for F4 or H4 - Coil Winding for F4 magneto and H4 magneto; molded, hi-output. 2 inch wide, 3/4 inch hole, 2-3/16 inch outside diameter. Can replace 47439DA. Magneto Winding for F4 and H4 Magnetos used on: F12, F14, F20, F30, H, MD, WD6, W9, WD9

WiJay
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: H, Keeps cutting out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It will not start now, placed a spark tester light from magneto cover to the distributor cap..the light is very weak.

WiJay
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: H, Keeps cutting out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Magneto winding the same as coil winding or coil?

Magneto Winding for F4 or H4 - Coil Winding for F4 magneto and H4 magneto; molded, hi-output. 2 inch wide, 3/4 inch hole, 2-3/16 inch outside diameter. Can replace 47439DA. Magneto Winding for F4 and H4 Magnetos used on: F12, F14, F20, F30, H, MD, WD6, W9, WD9

Thanks Jay

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: H, Keeps cutting out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A mag takes a special coil made to fit just that mag and no other mag. This site is likely to list them

teddy52food
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: H, Keeps cutting out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Take the mag off as the condenser goes out the side towards the engine. Watch where the rotor is pointing so you get it on in time again. I center punch the flange & casting where it bolts up to so it will be timed as before.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: H, Keeps cutting out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ah but condensers almost never go bad but many new ones and bad right out of the box

560Dennis
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: H, Keeps cutting out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have a Farmall C that did that. Found after a season of tillage frustration, it was a piece of the Erie times funny paper. It would get suck int the fuel ⛽️
port and block it , Then released it self and start over .
Don?t think that?s your problem ,but never rule any like this out, so open the drain on the carburetor And look 👀

teddy52food
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: H, Keeps cutting out Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That is why I use my tester on every one I use. I have found bad ones that way right out of the box.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters