Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

ford 4000 '64 selecto

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jan westphal

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: ford 4000 '64 selecto Reply to specific post Reply with quote

we just bought this tractor for cheap and the guy told us that it
is probably the the clutch. We did not realize that the tractor
selecto model. The engine works but there is no pto or forward
or reverse. My question is about the selecto, if this is a good
choice or a troublesome choice. The guy who ran it last was
using this machine connected to a pto wood splitter and it
stopped working.

Dean

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: ford 4000 '64 selecto Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jan:

If neither the PTO nor the main drive transmission operate the problem is probably the torque limiting clutch between the engine and the transmission.

Replacing it requires splitting the tractor as would be required to replace a conventional clutch.

Problem is, these parts are either no longer available from Ford or very expensive.

As for the transmission itself: Folks generally fall into two categories regarding the SOS. Some, like me, love them but many are very much afraid of them.

Dean

Morefords

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: ford 4000 '64 selecto Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jan, Your new purchase probably has the inputshaft of the transmission out, thus the reason for no forward or reverse nor any PTO. If so the news is not cheap but yes can be fixed yet. The crooks at Case/New Holland can sell you this shaft for just a bit over $1800 if you care to give the bandits this much. But there are other avenues to travel. When running does there seem to be a whine to the front area of the transmission but no rotation of the PTO shaft what-so-ever?

john_bud

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: ford 4000 '64 selecto Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It does sound like the torq limiting clutch. While not available from Ford, you can get yours re-faced at a reputable clutch place. Should be one near you in the yellow pages.

jb

bjr

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:33 am    Post subject: I have a old 4000D SOS Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Went thru this about 1 yr. ago. On mine it was the torque clutch and I found one used, about $140 for the plate. Just count the splines in the hub and mesure the diameter when ordering though as there are several different ones. Also be aware of the rear wheel disengagement lock on the left side just under the seat. It has a lock with a bolt that can be removed and the shaft can be turned to be able to move the tractor without engine running. A manual will help you on this. The SOS trannny is great for tilling at low speed and I love the PTO engagement as there is no grinding of gears. I wish I had a foot throttle though is my only quibble on the tractor. bjr

Bob Gascon

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: ford 4000 '64 selecto Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If parts for the select o speed are not available from Ford, where would one get a transmission gasket set, seals, bearings, clutch plates, and clutch bands? All the wearables. I called the local Ford Dealer and they told me the parts were not listed any longer by Ford and that they were obsolete. They also told me that there were aftermarket places that may have them but they needed the part numbers in order to search. Do you know of any other places that sell parts for the select o speed? Thanks, Bob

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters