Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

brush cutter

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NWMO 901 SOS

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 5:32 am    Post subject: brush cutter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey All,

I just spoke with a fellow who has a 7.5' sidewinder SWGB90 set up for 3-point for sale. He indicated it had been on a 35 hp tractor and did fine. He points out the two blade set-up gets the weight closer to the tractor which makes it easier to pick up and handle. He's been in the business for 50 years including time with his father. This makes since to me but I thought I would see if anyone thought he was blowing smoke. He is also pricing a new SE6 for me. I am going to be in his neck of the woods Friday and take a look. Any input appreciated.

Chris

souNdguy

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: brush cutter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A 7.5' mower.. if a standard 3pt 'hog'.. seems a bit much on a 35 hp tractor.

If it were a sickle bar.. yes.. if it was a drag mower.. -perhaps-.. maybee in light pasture.

I used to have a NH 1920.. diesel.. 33hp.. it pulled a 6' mower max....

Soundguy

NWMO 901 SOS

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: brush cutter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey Soundguy,

From an engineering perspective, moving the center of gravity nearer the rear of the tractor would be helpful for 3 point lifting and spinning two smaller blades vs. one larger blade may be easier as well?

Dean

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: brush cutter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Chris:

Double spindle cutters do pull easier than single spindle cutters of the same size.

Since its a double spindle and not too long it should not be too much for your 901 lift providing the total weight is not too much and your hydraulic system is good.

Your 9x1 is rated nearly 48 HP on the PTO so it should be able to handle it if you do not plan to cut very heavy cover or travel too fast.

Dean

Rick Kr

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: brush cutter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Chris,
A double gearbox would move the weight a lot closer to the rear of the tractor, plus it will weight a lot less.

If you are cutting field grass I think you would be ok. But cutting true brush that is a lot of mower.

My 3930 sleeps with a 6 foot brush hog in grass up to 5 foot tall. But get it in some saplings and brush, 6 foot is more that enough. I start taking 4 foot passes.

I looked at the double gear box Bush Hog model 8 foot, but I am not ready to part with $2000.

Rick

souNdguy

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: brush cutter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sure it is.. however.. my guess is the mower, at that size.. is just going to be too darn big for that size tractor to operate safely.. and I'm not just talking pto hp to spin blades. I have a 10' 3pt mower on my ford 5000 .. it's as big as it wants.. and that is with 420# on the front of the tractor. I feel the 5000 would spin more blade.. but the weight on the 10' mower/3pt is pretty significant. 10' is only 2.5' bigger than 7.5' and the 5000 is a 70 hp machine.. which is 2x the size of what we are discussing IE.. a 35hp machine..

I think the 7.5' mower will be 'wagging the dog' on a 35 hp machine.

That's why i said a 'lift' style mower may actually get away with it.. etc.. same with a sickle bar.. etc..

Soundguy

NWMO 901 SOS

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: brush cutter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have not been very clear. The seller stated it had been on a 35 hp tractor, I would be putting it behind my 901, roughly 48 pto hp. I will be curious to look at it, but am leaning towards the SE6. Thank you for your input.

Chris

NWMO 901 SOS

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: brush cutter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey Rick,

what is the HP on the 3930? I'm leaning towards the SE6 or similar, but will be curious to look at the 7.5 footer.

Chris

soundguy

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: brush cutter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm not talking about your 900... I'm talking about that 35hp machine the dealer said it ran on... I'd like to see some proof of that one... ( not from you.. from the dealer.. )

unless he's talking 'texas hp' ( bigger than regular hp ) .. I find it hard to believe..at least for the lift / weight issue ...

I've no doubt that an average 9xx can power a 7.5' mower.

Soundguy

Rick Kr

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: brush cutter Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sorry for the slow reply.

My 3930 is 47hp at the PTO.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters