Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Clueless about cam follower pin

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill Crowell
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:09 am    Post subject: Clueless about cam follower pin Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Guys, according to Zane's N-series hydraulic system troubleshooting article, I need to check my cam follower pin for wear, but I don't know where it's located(!) and have made no progress finding the answer online. Is the cam follower pin the same as the "inner hydraulic lift control rod pin", and where is it? Thanks, and sorry if this is a dumb question.

RobBruno
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Clueless about cam follower pin Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Bill Crowell wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:09:27 12/10/19) Guys, according to Zane's N-series hydraulic system troubleshooting article, I need to check my cam follower pin for wear, but I don't know where it's located(!) and have made no progress finding the answer online. Is the cam follower pin the same as the "inner hydraulic lift control rod pin", and where is it? Thanks, and sorry if this is a dumb question.

Try this link. Has some basic info.
https://fordtractorcollectors.com/hydraulic-problems/

Ed S. (IL)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Clueless about cam follower pin Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You ll need to pull your top cover to get at it. Mine was pretty far gone:

A couple more links to peruse:

https://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/viewtopic.php?t=1401989

https://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/viewtopic.php?t=1379331

es

Bill Crowell
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Clueless about cam follower pin Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Oh, so it is in the top cover. Now I get it. Thanks, Rob. So can you inspect it for wear with the top cover installed, maybe using a mirror?

nashranch
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Clueless about cam follower pin Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here's a pretty good pic of the pin still hooked to the linkage

HCooke
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Clueless about cam follower pin Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"So can you inspect it for wear with the top cover installed"

I have replaced several of these. I am not aware of anyway to inspect this without removing the top cover.

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Clueless about cam follower pin Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not really, and you will need to remove the top cover to replace it in any case.

Just about all of them are worn, and it should be replaced if there is ANY perceptible wear.

Dean

Rusty2N
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Clueless about cam follower pin Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can reach up in there and feel the pin or use a inspection mirror and flashlight to see the pin through the round dipstick plate.

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Clueless about cam follower pin Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Rusty2N wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:06:48 12/10/19) You can reach up in there and feel the pin or use a inspection mirror and flashlight to see the pin through the round dipstick plate.

Technology is getting cheaper everyday and its now easy and affordable to look in hidden spaces. Might even fit this through a bolt hole:

USB Endoscope

TOH

Gaspump
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Clueless about cam follower pin Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do you have one like that? Does it work? Reason I ask is that I purchased not that one but a similar one off E-Bay and it worked well for a couple of minutes then it quit and screen says I need to sign up on their site for any additional use. Credit cards accepted of course. I would like to get one that works with no strings attached.

deanostoybox
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Clueless about cam follower pin Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Guessing it came with its own software? Should work fine with any generic webcam software.

I have three, 1 USB microscope (can adjust focus) 1 8mm endoscope/borescope with 3' snake (works OK, no accessories) and one I just got yesterday very similar to the one in the link TOH posted. It has blueish light supposed to be better in dark places, yet to be proven. Bought it because it came with some accessories including a right angle mirror. The scope is OK, but the mirror is useless. Seems to be a piece of aluminum foil tape for a reflective surface.

Any case, they are very useful to look into places you cannot see. Resolution is 640 x 480 so don't be fooled by any Megapixel claims on the cheap ones.

deanostoybox
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Clueless about cam follower pin Reply to specific post Reply with quote

photo taken with new one last night with only the light from the leds

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Clueless about cam follower pin Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Gaspump wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:37:46 12/10/19) Do you have one like that? Does it work? Reason I ask is that I purchased not that one but a similar one off E-Bay and it worked well for a couple of minutes then it quit and screen says I need to sign up on their site for any additional use. Credit cards accepted of course. I would like to get one that works with no strings attached.

No, I just saw the item on Amazon. I'd say you are the victim of an ebay scam and I'd file a claim.

TOH

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Clueless about cam follower pin Reply to specific post Reply with quote

TheOldHokie wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:53:29 12/10/19)
CVPost-Rusty2N wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:06:48 12/10/19) You can reach up in there and feel the pin or use a inspection mirror and flashlight to see the pin through the round dipstick plate.

Technology is getting cheaper everyday and its now easy and affordable to look in hidden spaces. Might even fit this through a bolt hole:

USB Endoscope

TOH
My doctor gave me a bunch of great images he took of the insides of my intestines via similar but not exactly same as " Might even fit this through a bolt hole:" :)

carlntexas
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Clueless about cam follower pin Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The one I bought said not to use it for that. :wink:

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters