Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Tire Chain Dimensions

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject: Tire Chain Dimensions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The tire chain posts below prompted me to pull out three sets of tire chains that I have no use for and plan to sell. I know what two sets fit but I have a third set bought used that I'm not sure about and cannot find any tire chain dimension chart on the net.

This is a Duo-Grip set and it measures 144" in length and 31" in width. I'm guessing 16.9X28 and/or 16.9X30.

Anyone know?

Dean

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Chain Dimensions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Or maybe 14.9x30
Kinda wish you were closer.
I've been looking for a set of 14.9x28s but will need the whole package - rims, centers, tires, tubes. I'm running 14.9x30s on one tractor that the tires are Really bad.
Rather than hunt down all the components I'm leaning toward just finding good tires for it. I believe your chains would fit.

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Chain Dimensions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Could be, UD.

Once upon a time, I saw a chart relating tire sizes to dimensions but cannot find it now.

Considering that 13.6X28 tire chains are about 23/24 inches wide, 31 inches is wide.

These chains appear to be almost NOS. No wear at all and the plating is still on the side chains. Cross chains are not plated and have surface rust.

They would be great on your "NOS" tractors.

Dean

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Chain Dimensions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dean/Jerry, I have a set of Duo link tire chains that fit my 14.9x28 tires.
They are a nice snug fit with no bungee cords or wire required.
If it would help, I can go measure them tomorrow morning.
I'm not looking to sell them, just offering to measure them.

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Chain Dimensions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, Royse.

Not wanting to request excessive effort, but such measurements would be helpful.

Dean

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Chain Dimensions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's not excessive at all Dean, they're in the barn, not mounted on
the tractor. All I need to do is stretch one out and measure it.
I'll try to get out there in the morning and let you know.

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Chain Dimensions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Dean wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:35:37 12/14/19) The tire chain posts below prompted me to pull out three sets of tire chains that I have no use for and plan to sell. I know what two sets fit but I have a third set bought used that I'm not sure about and cannot find any tire chain dimension chart on the net.

This is a Duo-Grip set and it measures 144" in length and 31" in width. I'm guessing 16.9X28 and/or 16.9X30.

Anyone know?

Dean

I found a specifications page for tire chains at lacledechain.com. It gives lengths for cross and side chains by Laclede chain model number. You would have to look up the model number for a given tire size and then use the model data to get the dimensions. You could go the opposite way (dimensions to tire size) with just a little more searching.

TOH

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Chain Dimensions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Dean wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:35:37 12/14/19) The tire chain posts below prompted me to pull out three sets of tire chains that I have no use for and plan to sell. I know what two sets fit but I have a third set bought used that I'm not sure about and cannot find any tire chain dimension chart on the net.

Anyone know?

Dean

I found a specifications page for tire chains at lacledechain.com. It gives lengths for cross and side chains by Laclede chain model number. You would have to look up the model number for a given tire size and then use the model data to get the dimensions. You could go the opposite way (dimensions to tire size) with just a little more searching.

TOH

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Chain Dimensions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, Dan.

I'll give it a try.

Dean

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Tire Chain Dimensions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The set I have measures 30 x 120.
That's not even close to what lacledechain.com lists, but they fit.
I haven't been able to find a picture of the tractor with them on.
That would be nice so you could see how far they wrap over the side.

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Tire Chain Dimensions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Royse wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:07:33 12/15/19) The set I have measures 30 x 120.

The arithmetic is pretty simple. Cross chain length will determine the location of the side chains relative to the tire OD. Once you have determined the diameter of that side chain circle the length is simply 3.14 x circle diameter.

I also suspect the dimensions you get with that calculation will vary considerably based on the cross chain and tire tread patterns. Ladder chains are going to drop between the lugs more than a duo type chain so the side chain diameter for ladder chains of a given length is likely going to be smaller than DUO chains with the same cross chain length. Lug spacing and size is also going to alter that side chain diameter. In other words, geometric calculations are just a good starting point and length customization will likely be needed to address variations in tire and chain designs.

TOH

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Tire Chain Dimensions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, TOH.

I referenced the chart on lacledechain.com that you directed me to and confirmed my best guess that they will fit 16.9X28 and 16.9X30, so I'll advertise as such.

I suspect that they will fit other sizes as well but did not confirm other sizes so will not advertise as fitting any other specific sizes.

Thanks, again.

Dean

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Tire Chain Dimensions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, Royse.

Dean

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Chain Dimensions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You're welcome! Glad to help when I can.

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Chain Dimensions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

TheOldHokie wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:52:52 12/15/19)
Royse wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:07:33 12/15/19) The set I have measures 30 x 120.

The arithmetic is pretty simple. Cross chain length will determine the location of the side chains relative to the tire OD. Once you have determined the diameter of that side chain circle the length is simply 3.14 x circle diameter.

I also suspect the dimensions you get with that calculation will vary considerably based on the cross chain and tire tread patterns. Ladder chains are going to drop between the lugs more than a duo type chain so the side chain diameter for ladder chains of a given length is likely going to be smaller than DUO chains with the same cross chain length. Lug spacing and size is also going to alter that side chain diameter. In other words, geometric calculations are just a good starting point and length customization will likely be needed to address variations in tire and chain designs.

TOH

I was kind of thinking the same thing, but I went about it a little differently.
I took the length of the side chains and figured out the diameter of the circle they would make.
That works out to be roughly 38 inches, leaving them 5 inches from the rim edges.
My equation would be moot if I didn't already know they fit, because shorter cross chains could prohibit them fitting.
As it is, they fit on brand new 14.9 x 28 tires. Worn tires would obviously be shorter.

Now, just for fun, I'll have to go try the other set of chains I bought.
They are also Duo link, but 25 inches wide by 132 inches long.
If they won't fit my 14.9's, I can make them fit my 13.6's.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters