Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Attachment brands

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Logger22
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject: Attachment brands Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I recently purchased a 1949 Ford 8N. I'd like to purchase a brush hog/mower, Diske and Manure spreader. If purchasing these items new. What Brand and sizes would you guys "And Girls" recommend? I think I'd like the brush hog and mower to hook up to the three point Spreader would be getting rid of horse waste. Brush hog for keeping riding trails mowed. Thank you Logger

W_B
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Attachment brands Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought a new King Kutter brush mower, five foot size, in 2002 for use on my 9N (and later on an 8N). Usage was fairly light, mowing pastures. That same year we got an H&S 125 manure spreader (125 bushel size). It is a PTO model and perfect size for the 8N. Still using both, the spreader every other day, but the mower less now because I'm using a 5' finish mower behind a Mahindra eMax 22 on the pastures. The KK comes out if I let the pastures get too overgrown. Don't get too big on a disk unless you put some weight on the front of the tractor. I borrowed a 6' one and it was a bit too much for the 9N.

Abbby
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Attachment brands Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 5' King Kutter and 5' Howse. Both have held up well to cutting lots of small trees and hitting stumps and rocks. My vote goes to the Howse for the design of the blade height relative to the bottom of the deck. To get the same height grass cut the King Cutter sides must be closer to the ground making it more likely to tear up the ground. The side design also makes it more likely to dig up the ground. Howse is my vote.

zuhnc
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Attachment brands Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 5 foot Bush Hog (tm) on my 8N. Does very nicely. Have mowed 3-4 foot tall pastures (not maintained for a long while) with no issues. Blades should be sharp; I have mine rounded over slightly because I "mow" 1"-2" diameter saplings at times. zuhnc

Tim PloughNman Daley
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: Attachment brands Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The best investment you can do for you and your 'new' 8N Tractor is to get copies of the Essential Manuals, as the Owner/Operator manual has some safety and capacity
facts in it. As far as a brush hog, any 5' hogger will work fine. King Kutter, Bush Hog, and Landpride are popular brands. Remember, you get what you pay for. Check
for parts and service before you buy. Used equipment always abounds as well. Ditto for ant mower. A 5' or 6' mower is perfect. I have a WOODS 660 6' Finish Mower and
mowed 10 acres just fine. I moved in 2012 so no longer mow but used it for 20 years. I use an old New Idea spreader on my 8N with no issues. It is almost as big as the
tractor and sometimes feels like it is driving thee tractor rather than vice versa. I and many here also recommend you use an ORC (Over Running Coupler) with a hogger,
mower, spreader, and/or any PTO driven equipment. You asked, I advised.

MY 1948 FORD 8N & VINTAGE NEW IDEA MANURE SPREADER:

FORD 8N TRACTOR ESSENTIAL OWNER/OPERATOR/PARTS/SERVICE MANUALS:

Tim *PloughNman* Daley(MI)

carpetfarmer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Attachment brands Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In the lighter duty economy price range I really like Howse rotary mowers. That's what I shopped and held out for and now own. You can get into the Land Pride, Frontier, Rhino, brands etc and the weight and
quality increase considerably but I don't feel like you need all that behind an N, let alone the cost.

For finish mowers, I have a Rhino (got it super cheap) and I love it. I have seen and used a couple of King Kutters and I really don't care for the way they are built. I like the way the Rhino is built a lot
better.

I'm shopping for discs now and don't have much input for you there. I'm thinking a CountyLine/King Kutter would be just fine unless you want to shell out some serious money for a heavier duty unit like a Land
Pride or Frontier or other...same as the rotary mowers.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Attachment brands Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Remember the weight of a manure spreader toung on the 3 point hitch is too far back and will make the tractor front end very lite. John Deere for their ground drive spreaders (PTO Powered are too big) made a special spreader hitch for the 9N, 2N, 8N, NAA, to-20 and TO-30 tractors to take care of that weight problem and the hitch pin hole in them was only 2" in back of the cover that was supposed to be on when the PTO was not in use. These are very scarce. But if you have an aftermarket swinging drawbar on the 8N, NAA, TO-20 or TO-30 it would be very easy to make that length hitch, just get an extra drawbar and drill a hole at that location and cut excess off. I have one for a 9N or 2N that I bought on an online auction over 20 years ago. Seller did not know what it was and thought it was something homade but as soon as I saw the picture of it I knew what it was and had to have it, you can only find them pictured in the John Deere manure spreader parts books for the model H, L and R spreaders. I have a 9N and 2N and if you have very heavy items to mow a 5' mower is more than that tractor can handle. A NAA would be borderline on power for one. A 5' would kill a Ford tractor with twice the horsepower that you have, If you can use the bush hog type like a finnish mower you will be OK but don't expect it to handle grass a foot tall.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Attachment brands Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had good luck with two King Kutter
mowers. Bought both of them new.
A 5' brush mower and a 6' side discharge
finish mower. I used them hard for
several years. They were still in good
working order when I sold them because I
went to a larger tractor.
Contrary to the popular myth here you do
NOT need an over running clutch (ORC) on
a finish mower, sickle mower, manure
spreader, fertilizer spreader, pto
driven hay rake or post hole digger
(PHD). The only implement you need an
ORC for is a brush mower. No other
implememt has the HUGE amount of
residual inertia that will push your
tractor forward like a brush hog does.
None.

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Attachment brands Reply to specific post Reply with quote

One neither needs nor should use a HD rotary cutter with an N series Ford. Such cutters will be too heavy. Nothing wrong with King Cutter, Howse, TSC, Hawkline, etc., for use with your 8N. The major brands, Bush Hog, Woods, Land Pride also make light duty cutters that would be find for your 8N. Nothing larger than 5'.

The size and weight of a disc for your 8N depends upon what you plan to do with it. Nothing larger than 6' and nothing heavier than about 700 Lbs.

Dean

Colin King
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Attachment brands Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tim,

That's a nice looking spreader.

Do you find that the front end gets light on the 8N when pulling that spreader? How comfortable would you be with pulling it uphill loaded?

Thanks,
Colin

Idaho Digger
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Attachment brands Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't even consider a rotary motor without an ORC and probably a shaft adapter. If buying the mower new, they might throw the ORC in to sweeten the deal.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Attachment brands Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You are wise to be asking about brands. I pretty much always look for used in a good name brand. You can very often find a lightly used good condition brand name piece of equipment for less than a new off brand, and ten years late have a lot more for your money than if you had spent more for a new off brand.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters