Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Ford Umbrella!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynn Patrick
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject: Ford Umbrella! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not mine (usual disclaimers!) & my wife won't buy it for me for Christmas!
https://waterloo.craigslist.org/grd/d/hawkeye-vintage-ford-tractor-umbrella/7037196892.html

Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford Umbrella! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it helps,my wife wont let me buy a JD one either (and it is less than yours)

stevob671
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford Umbrella! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I may be wrong but didn't think the blue ones came out until '65...

GB in MT.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford Umbrella! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Lynn;
That umbrella ain't the right color for yer new LCG!!!!! :lol: :shock:
AND......a little thred bare to boot!!!

Gary :wink:

Blackhole49
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Ford Umbrella! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'd give him $3.25 for it and pay for shipping.

Tim PloughNman Daley
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Ford Umbrella! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yep, seller has no clue. It is not from the 1950's. The Empire Blue & Off White isn't issued until the early 1960's with the Thousand Series Models. There is a place on the web that sells new repro DEARBORN red * white tractor umbrellas. We no longer are permitted to post any LINK to better suppliers so you will have to google 'tractor umbrellas' to get the1r on your own. The OEM Ford umbrellas had the red and black FORD TRACTOR logo on opposite sides of teh triangles. When I asked TU to correct that they said they couldn't print that. I said yes they could since Dearborn and Ford Tractor are no longer in business and there are no copyright laws valid. Still waiting for an answer -ten years now. Whatever.

1948 FORD 8N RESTORED; TIM DALEY OWNER & OPERATOR:

Tim Daley(MI)

Lynn Patrick
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Ford Umbrella! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Right GB, but it is right for my 3000! Just don't know if I want a sun shade on my snow mover!!

HFJ
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Ford Umbrella! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"When I asked TU to correct that they said they couldn't print that. I said yes they could since Dearborn and Ford Tractor are no longer in business and there are no copyright laws valid."

i won't speak for anywhere else, but in the USA, whether or not a company is still in business or a person is still alive has no bearing on the status of a copyright.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Ford Umbrella! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I believe you are correct.
Patents expire fairly soon - 15? years
but copyrights go on for a looong time.
Copyrights on literature for example
don't expire till 70 years after the
author's death.
The copyright on Mein Kampf was owned by
the state of Bavaria and didn't expire
till 2016.
I'm sure that a logo that is in
continual use goes on pretty much
forever. Think Coca Cola or Chevrolet.
I'll lay odds that New Holland or
whoever is the parent company of them
now still holds the copyright on
'Dearborn Farm Equipment'.
I'll bet if Toyota built a new line of
cars and called them Oldmobiles (defunct
since 2004) General Motors would be
sharpening their legal knives in a
hurry.

HFJ
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford Umbrella! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

patents are "here be monsters" to me, altho, iirc, it's 17 years. 70 after death is correct, and will be referenced below :)

copyright has been a topic of informal interest for me for nearly 2 decades. here's a bookmark i use, with rare exceptions, on a daily basis.

WAPO is behind a paywall and the Times ends up with tons of articles in the list that have nothing to do with the topic, hence their exclusion. the most interesting tidbit i found yesterday was that the replacement for NAFTA will require all countries involved to have a copyright term that continues for at least 70 years after the creator s death.

however - and i most certainly could be wrong, it has been known to happen :oops: :lol: - i think your Toyota example would be a trademark issue ;)

Jim WI
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford Umbrella! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think the issue with the umbrella is more likely a trademark than copyright. According to Justia the Ford trademark is still active for tractors and related equipment.

Heres a short article about the difference between copyright, patents, and trademark from the US Patent and Trademark Office.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: Ford Umbrella! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks!
I had more wrong than right I guess.
Was pretty sure you couldn't just start
printing and selling new umbrellas with
the Ford Tractor logo on them though.
Not without getting someone's undies in
a bunch.

Jim WI
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford Umbrella! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On the other hand, the licensing fee might not be too bad. Fun Projects makes a regulator for the Ford Model T and 9N/2N that looks identical to a cutout. You can buy it with or without the Ford script logo. The difference in price is about $6.

Jim WI
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford Umbrella! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Real-Deal Steel says the licensing fee is usually 8-10% of the price of the item.

Tim PloughNman Daley
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: Ford Umbrella! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They make the DEARBORN and FERGUSON umbrellas - who gets those royalties??? DEERE, IH, and other umbrellas....pay the licensing fees and your good to go.

TPD

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters